Votes: 44 32.4%
  • Over $100,000

Votes: 43 31.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article in Cyclesport yesterday about US cycling. Jonathan Vaughters stated that the average cycling fan makes $100,000 per year. Is this an accurate statement? Maybe I need to have a talk with my boss.

What do you think?

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Tjoiwr said:
I was reading an article in Cyclesport yesterday about US cycling. Jonathan Vaughters stated that the average cycling fan makes $100,000 per year. Is this an accurate statement? Maybe I need to have a talk with my boss.

What do you think?
You forgot the "none of your business" choice in the poll...

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Depends if you are talking household income or individual income. I'd believe the household > 100k. I fall into that category, however by myself not quite. $100k jobs are hard to come by in central Ohio ...

·
Registered
453 Posts
kreger said:
and damn near impossible to come by while in college
I second that notion.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I kindof remember that article and I thought he was talking about the avg cyclist reader of that particular magazine. Although I know that Bicycling did a survey and the median response for reader salary was around the $100,000 mark too. (I think it was Bicycling anyway) Divide that number by five and that's what I make <:( >

·
Registered
182 Posts
Two Thoughts

First, it is in the best interest of everyone in the sport, including the cycle magazines, to make the average fan's income look high so as to attract the upscale advertisers and sponsers who use cycling to sell their stuff. The sport is paid for by by ads.

Second, the poll in a magazine may and probably is skewed by the tendancy of people making good money to reply and people making poor money to not. Saying you make $100k gets wows and admiration while saying you make less than $10k gets, at best, sympathy. So the poor, in general, keep quiet.

PS. Actually, the rich tend to be circumspect as well, but they are too few to seriously affect a survey.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
I'm frigging loaded and all the chicas dig me big time.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Tjoiwr said:

What do you think?
Based on your poll so far, it looks like Mr. Vaughters knows what he's talking about.

Remember how averages work. The average income of you, me, and Lance Armstrong is 10 million dollars a year or so. Even so, I won't be placing my Lamborghini order any time soon (or dating Cheryl Crow).

Scot

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Not to be stereotypical, but isn't cycling (the expensive kind we do) usually white, male, slightly older, and upper-middle class anyways?

Honestly, most group rides and events done around here have a mean bike price of ~$2000, about 30-40yrs old, decked out in full clothing that costs another $300+. Is it any surprise that the average HOUSEhold salary is $100k?

For the record, I make about $1500/yr. I only work two days a week/5hrs per day during the summer. I can't afford (grade-wise) to take 8 credit hours in summer and 16-18 during the normal school year and have a job.

·
Registered
152 Posts
this is one of the main issues affecting cycling overall in the us. it is extremely hard for youth who have talent to break into the sport. look at lance, if not for richardson's goodwill who knows? i know there are places that have development programs, one in north texas i cannot recall, all the kids had to purchase were uniforms, shoes, and helmets. the club provided bikes.

next time you are at your group ride look around. 'nitro is right, bikes on average 2k, probably a 40k car to get them there.

it is hard enough for me to spend the amount of money on bikes i want and i make very good money. to be competitive it would take a lot more.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
Based on your poll so far, it looks like Mr. Vaughters knows what he's talking about.

Remember how averages work. The average income of you, me, and Lance Armstrong is 10 million dollars a year or so. Even so, I won't be placing my Lamborghini order any time soon (or dating Cheryl Crow).

Scot

That's why median averages are better for things like this.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
sweet! I didn't know i was so loaded. Time to buy another bike.
Oh wait... just did at lunch today. :D

My bianchi Axis will be ready for pickup next week.

I think that number is a little high. I saw some marketing numbers somewhere but thought the number was closer to 75k...

either way i need a raise, unless someone here well beyond the 100k mark would like to help balence the scales. I'm holding my breath here:mad2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.