Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,630 Posts
which Sustrans route are you taking from London to Canterbury?

FWIW I would be very surprised if your route is crushed gravel - but clearing London on that ride in that direction will take a long time and is not a terrbly nice ride (I did the London to Canterbury Sportive last year)

I would take a train from London to Tonbridge or Royal Tunbridge Wells and then pick your own route on the small B and C roads - any reasonably decent auto map should be sufficient - it will save some time and put you in to nice countryside with little hassle - riding out of London is never fun

for more details and help (on England and Belgium legs) I would post on Bikeradar: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40003

· Registered
1,630 Posts
tell people whatever you want about where you cycled - I've never had a fun, safe ride out of London to nicer parts and would strongly encourage you to consider taking a train to somewhere scenic to begin your ride - the only exception to this is riding west along the Thames Path towards Slough / Oxford

riding in inner London however is great fun and a perfect way to see the city - please PM me if you want a guided tour - also bring or plan on buying a good lock for any rides in London where you will not be physically touching your bike

looking at the Sustrans routes I didn't see one that goes in your direction - any paths in that part of the world would not be crushed gravel - BTW the Thames Path heading east is not a suitable route to exit London on - especially if you want to do 75-100 miels per day

please report back after your trip

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Uxbridge and southeast London are different worlds - am in zone 3 - to me Uxbridge is a suburb, a nice one, but a suburb...

inner London riding = ride around Parliament Square, Trafalgar Square, West End, along the Thames, South Bank, through the City, through Hyde Park - have you been to Condor? loop around Regent's Park?

am cycling in Letchworth on Sunday morning (early train from Finsbury Park) - you're welcome to join me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.