Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on a quality pair of cycling gloves.

I just started road riding and purchased a pair of Cannondale men's gel tactic gloves. The gel in the palm only lasted 25 hours before coming loose inside of glove.

Any suggestions?

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I'll second the comment about Specialized gloves. The recent ones are really excellent. I had pair of Pearl Izumi that lasted all of two washings before they fell apart. Then some Specialized a few years back. They lasted OK (about a year), but were poorly designed by having seams in terrible places. They eventually fell apart too. I've had a pair of Specialized BG Gels for the last year and a half, which get probably have over 500 hours on them, and they're still in great shape.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Specialized are all I use. I don't like a lot of padding, so I don't even buy the more expensive models with a lot of gel. I live in FL and my gloves get soaked with sweat on summer rides so I buy the models that are all synthetic and wash them frequently. Tried a few sets of the Pearl Izumi Pittards leather a few years ago and they literally fell apart after a few times in the wash. I have some Specialized that are 3-4 years old and still in great shape.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I like Spenco gloves. Unlike many others I like gel gloves. I've used Spencos for many years. Just bought a new pair of Spenco Rip Its a few weeks ago. They're great!

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
pigpen said:
Don't wear gloves, not even mountain biking or cross.
cannot stand them.
What do you use to wipe sweat off of yourself?

Just wondering- I find that I don't really need them for anything other than wiping sweat or snot out of my way, but for that reason, I really miss them if I don't have them.

· Registered
714 Posts
specialized

pro bg gloves is what i've got, no velcro strap on the wrist, just right for underside of palm padding....

couldn't be happier.

I wouldn't be caught dead without gloves; to crash in a race (or anywhere) would seriouslly f*** up your hands if they aren't protected.

For sweat/snot convenience and damn good abrasion resistance, plus wonderful comfort, couldn't be happier with mine *shrug*

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I like Spenco gloves. Unlike many others I like gel gloves. I've used Spencos for many years. Just bought a new pair of Spenco Rip Its a few weeks ago. They're great!
These Spencos and the Specialized gloves get very high marks from the Roadbikerider.com product testers. They all have decades of experience and I have found them to be very accurate in their assessments, imho.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
DM.Aelis said:
pro bg gloves is what i've got, no velcro strap on the wrist, just right for underside of palm padding....

couldn't be happier.

I wouldn't be caught dead without gloves; to crash in a race (or anywhere) would seriouslly f*** up your hands if they aren't protected.

For sweat/snot convenience and damn good abrasion resistance, plus wonderful comfort, couldn't be happier with mine *shrug*
I just got this model and am very pleased so far for the same reasons.

· Descender
2,213 Posts
I have used the following with comments:

Pearl Izumi - as noted above, decent gloves, decent padding - lasted 2 times in the wash and fell apart

Specialized - very good wash durability and wipe off area - only padded on the heel lof the hand - not my favorite for this reason. I like padding accross the whole heel for swtching positions etc.

Trek - foam padded - the foam lasted about a month b4 it broke down. Not so good.

Luis Garneau Ergo Air Gel - great padding, great durability. Helped greatly in a crash, ripped in an area but still functional - wash up well. They have got a new one out Ergo Flex that is even better - waiting for these to wear out first b4 I buy.

Go to the store and try a few on and determine what you like and how you will use them

Good luck!

· Registered
638 Posts
I agree with alot of the other guys here. I went through two pairs of PI and now I have Specialized BG gloves that have been great for 2 years now. I have their saddle as well from the BG series and I love it. Definately go for them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.