Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of us set annual mileage goals for ourselves, but I was wondering what other cycling goals do you set to motivate yourself?

A couple years ago I set a goal to ride over 1000 miles on non-redundant roads as motivation to explore new areas. Last year my goal was to hit at least 50 different food / coffee stops. I'm just looking for some ideas for 2017.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't have specific goals other than miles, but the last two years I have been endeavoring to explore more non-paved roads (forest service/fire/logging roads). We have tons of them in my area, many not on any maps. I have the bike for it, now I just need to go find them.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
I'd like to pull my decals off.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
...I have been endeavoring to explore more non-paved roads (forest service/fire/logging roads). We have tons of them in my area, many not on any maps. I have the bike for it, now I just need to go find them.
The off-road (think Jeeps, Land Cruisers, etc.) community may be a resource. These guys spend a lot (!) of time exploring and mapping FS roads in the hunt for the next cool trail/route. Their websites/forums/blogs could have a lot of good info.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of doing more dirt roads. I have a lot to choose from within a 25 mile radius. I've done most of them already, but not all in one year.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Sometimes I will target an event (L' Etape du Tour, the Eroica, a gran fondo, etc.) that is (1) a bit of a stretch for my abilities, and (2) an adventure. It gives me something to train for, as well as something to look forward to.

https://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/the-day-i-beat-miguel-indurain/

https://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/leroica/

Or, I will try to learn a new bike-related skill, like build a wheel...or a frameset.

https://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/later-just-happened-the-bike-is-painted/

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would like to do at least a metric century in every state and also check out some notable climbs. Going to get one of my bikes retrofitted with S&S couplers to take it traveling with.

Also want to maintain an average speed of 18 mph, and work up to double centuries. The average speed thing isn't hard per se, but I also don't race (nor do I train like a racer).

·
Registered
525 Posts
I try to ride at least two centuries each year. Makes me work a little harder to get ready.

Prior to my retirement, I lived, worked, and rode in a hilly area. When I retired, I moved to a very flat area.

This year, I returned to ride one of the centuries I rode when I was working. Having been in the flat area for about a year, I was seriously concerned about the climbing. As it turned out, I did OK. The weekend prior, I rode a flat century just to see if I could complete it. The first fifty miles were in a driving rain (no lightning), but I figured I had to ride it to know if I had a chance for the hilly one. So far, so good.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't have specific goals other than miles, but the last two years I have been endeavoring to explore more non-paved roads (forest service/fire/logging roads). We have tons of them in my area, many not on any maps. I have the bike for it, now I just need to go find them.
Sounds great. I would love to have easy access to a forest.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I hope to turn my twice weekly 38-44 mile ride into a couple of 50 miles twice a week. Maybe not be such a slowpoke as well.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I enjoy completing the Strava climbing challenges. This year I plan to complete the Rapha 500, which is to ride 500km on the eight days between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve

·
Registered
396 Posts
This year I plan to complete the Rapha 500, which is to ride 500km on the eight days between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve
I thought about doing that, but my work schedule has been brutal (pulling 55-60+ hour weeks) and I will be out of town Christmas Eve to the 26th.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.