Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

It's 41 degrees and lightly raining - wind is 5 to 10 mph. I must ride today.

For two months my 87 year old mother has been in critical condition - physically - while her mind is still very much intact. It looks like there's nothing we can do to save her, only keep her as comfortable as possible before she dies (colostomy, renal failure, et cetera).

I'm not complaining - to the contrary, I'm really overjoyed that I have a ride to help me deal with this situation. It's a dreary, wet, cold, overcast day but I'm going riding. My brother and sister just don't get it - they think I'm crazy.

I am thankful to have had my mother as long as I have. I'm grateful for her wonderful life that she has shared with everyone who has known her. At this difficult time, I'm also thankful I can get on a bike and ride for an hour and clear my head, get outside, enjoy the scenery and rejuvenate my body and soul.

I appreciate knowing there are many people who understand how theraputic bike riding - or any form of vigorous aerobic exercise - can be.

Be careful, ride for enjoyment,

Steel_SSer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Steel_SSer,

So sorry to hear about your mother. Everyone deals with grief in their own way. Nobody knows exactly how you feel but you, so deal with it the way that suits you best. If that is cycling, then just do it. When I lost my father almost 3 years ago (due to pancreatic cancer), I dedicated my rides to him. I pushed myself to get faster as a tribute to how I felt about him what a great man he was.

As you ride, think back on all the good times with your Mom.

Stay strong for yourself and your family,
Mike

·
Registered
602 Posts
yeah... what Mike said

And please know that your actions and attitude are an inspiration to many, myself included. Sometimes life is difficult to deal with. It was great to read your post. Now, I'm going for a ride too!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Steel_SSer, I am sorry to hear about your mother, too. I hope she can be kept comfortable.

Cycling helps me cope, too, in many ways, but since you brought up your story, I am reminded of my first ride after my grandmother died. It was very therapeutic. I rode along, looking at all the azaleas that were in bloom -- all of the everything that reminded me of her -- and I felt somehow close to her again.

She used to always ask me how my riding was going, and she'd say to, "Get out and enjoy it while you can." That's how she lived her life, and that's how she's inspired me to live mine.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Best wishes to you in this difficult time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Great post, dispite the topic. Be strong and say all the things you want to say. Right now love is probably the best medicine for your mom.

My grandmother died from acuete Leukemia, and after having a full masectomy 5 years previous, declined the radical chemotherapy.

I think this summer I'll be adding a pink headset to my bike as a tribute.

Best wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts