Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hobby

Cycling is something to keep fit and push myself physically. I enjoy the culture, and I can appreciate what it takes to become a categorized racer. My wife might think it's a lifestyle choice for me, but I do not make it the center of my life.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's a good question

Since I started seriously commuting almost every day, it's become more of a lifestyle, I guess. I don't do as many long recreational rides anymore, since I'm getting my miles in during the week. The more I commute, the less I even think about it as cycling. In fact, I don't really think about "cycling" anymore, I let my magazine subscriptions lapse years ago. This forum is really my only contact with the world of cycling, and I'm trying to wean myself from this as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it is a lifestyle. it is a part of who i am. not "center" but it definitely a big part of who I am. If I am out of the saddle for more than a few days...i feel "off".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Easily lifestyle, I live where I live for cycling. I ride to work 5 days/wk, 30mls round trip in the mountains, year round. At work it's bicycles too, as the head mechanic of a reputable shop. Pay is not fantastic, but I'm doing what I want to do. As close as I can get to retirement at age 32.

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
207 Posts
Hobby

But it's my favorite hobby, I keep a spare set of gear at work for spontaneous rides, I feel poorly if I don't get out five days a week, and my friends give me bike gifts at holidays. I think I'm in danger of crossing over into the "lifestyle" crowd. Just shoot me if I use the word "peloton" in casual conversation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lifestyle

curtw said:
But it's my favorite hobby, I keep a spare set of gear at work for spontaneous rides, I feel poorly if I don't get out five days a week, and my friends give me bike gifts at holidays. I think I'm in danger of crossing over into the "lifestyle" crowd. Just shoot me if I use the word "peloton" in casual conversation.
Lifestyle? Its a passion.

Chris V.
Fort Worth

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lifestyle

I spend too much time doing cycling related stuff to call it a hobby. I know a guy who is going to Chile for the summer to get a full year of skiing (Endless winter). I was thinking about it and I wouldn't be able to give up a biking season. I could let go of all my summer hobbies for a season, but not biking.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Something different.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Apart from work and family

It's the biggest part of my life right now. I've never regularly driven to work in my life, but until I gave up running four years ago, a bike was just a tool. Since I started biking for fitness, I've become passionate about all aspects of it.. racing.. riding.. wrenching.. esthetics.

But mostly its the feeling. You know what I mean.

saddle tramp said:
Which is it for you?
________
Kitchen Measures

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lifestyle ... Ha !
It's LIFE !
It's Religion !
It's Sex!
It's all of the above....

"What do I have to do to ride my bike more?"

That's the way I live !

·
Banned
476 Posts
all and more

It of course is a hobby and also a lifestyle
but it is also ART

But it can also become a problem; if cycling is all you want to talk about [at least that is what my wife says]

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
fracisco said:
Cycling is something to keep fit and push myself physically. I enjoy the culture, and I can appreciate what it takes to become a categorized racer. My wife might think it's a lifestyle choice for me, but I do not make it the center of my life.
What's wrong with you? You sound perfecty sane! :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts