Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a long weekend visiting the home town of a friend from the Schwarzwald (aka the Black Forest). My friend had told me about the hills there, and how steep they can be. If truth be told i never really believed him. I do now. Let's just say that it's pretty common to find stretches of road where it's 20% for a tad too long for my liking. :)

Considering that I've been riding in the Netherlands for the last 5 weeks, the hills were a rude awakening. It also didn't help that it was raining every day, which was a pity.

So, some pics.

My friend's hometown, a city/village called Schramberg.



The hotel i stayed at, which was on top of a kilometer long climb - not fun at the end of long ride :D



portrait of some shoes and a puddle (you see - rain doesn't burn after all ;))



a flattish area with killer frogs



my riding partners on a 6 km climb




a Casper Davd Friederich moment



thanks for reading/looking
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
Makes me want to go back. I've been there a couple times, but it was before I started cycling. I remember driving up some of those roads and thinking "hope another car doesn't come the other way!"
 

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
Joined
·
7,364 Posts
Great pics. My wife and I were just across the Rhein, a few years back, in the Alsace. A lovely, peaceful place.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
LBK said:
Is it me? or the guy with Tmobile jersey is huge.....
His front wheel looks like my niece's tricycle wheel.:D

What a great place to ride......
Why. Why is Germany so clean and beautiful? Why!!??
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bignose said:
i was thinking the same thing. i can understand why people wear helmets,i can understand why they don't. i can never figure out why they just bring them along for the ride.
i knew that someone was going to feel compelled to comment on that. :rolleyes:

i made my smart ass remark to my friends, but left it at that. after all, they're grown men.

for what it's worth, the pic was taken when we were in the midst of a 6-7 km climb, that averaged +/- 10%, the shallowest grade being about 6-7 %, with several walls of 18-20+ % - the kind of walls that are so steep that you'll pop a wheelie if you're seated, and your rear wheel skids out because the roads are wet.

they were going less that 10 MPH.

once we hit the top, they put their helmets back on.

happy?
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
botto said:
i knew that someone was going to feel compelled to comment on that. :rolleyes:

i made my smart ass remark to my friends, but left it at that. after all, they're grown men.

for what it's worth, the pic was taken when we were in the midst of a 6-7 km climb, that averaged +/- 10%, the shallowest grade being about 6-7 %, with several walls of 18-20+ % - the kind of walls that are so steep that you'll pop a wheelie if you're seated, and your rear wheel skids out because the roads are wet.

they were going less that 10 MPH.

once we hit the top, they put their helmets back on.

happy?
Botto... Great pics and it looks like great riding. I haven't been in the Black Forest area for years and this report made me want to go back.

re. the helmets, I often take mine off when doing long climbs in the mountains, esp. in the sun! I pour some water on my cycling cap and vola! instant AC. (Except, of course when racing -- helmets are mandatory then...)Like your buddies, I put the helmet back on when going down.

A+

Philippe
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meric beaucoup Philippe!

OT - but i noticed your 'i heart team Zissou' tag, which i guess is an alternative spelling of Zi Zou? Have you seen "Zidane, un portrait du XXIe siècle" yet? One of the co-directors is a friend. I got a sneak peak last month - it's fantastic. :)

philippec said:
Botto... Great pics and it looks like great riding. I haven't been in the Black Forest area for years and this report made me want to go back.
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
botto said:
Meric beaucoup Philippe!

OT - but i noticed your 'i heart team Zissou' tag, which i guess is an alternative spelling of Zi Zou? Have you seen "Zidane, un portrait du XXIe siècle" yet? One of the co-directors is a friend. I got a sneak peak last month - it's fantastic. :)
De rien!

re. Zissou -- I am referring to the legendary Steve Zissou - famed oceanographer who experiences an extended dry spell in "The Life Aquatic" and not Zinedine Zidane -- who I also heart very much! Unfortunately, on the movie front, b/c of my daughters, if it doesn't have cartoon characters or a plot involving talking animals, I will probably not see it before it comes out in DVD. Waaahh! Too bad because it looks like it R.O.C.K.S!

à plus tard,

Philippe
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Absolutely beautiful Botto. Not sure I would have enjoyed those climbs in the rain but what incredibly beautiful country!
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
d'oh! just realized that.

as far as Zidane21 - it's the football equivalent of a "Sunday in Hell". amazing stuff, that people wil be talking about for years to come.

philippec said:
De rien!

re. Zissou -- I am referring to the legendary Steve Zissou - famed oceanographer who experiences an extended dry spell in "The Life Aquatic" and not Zinedine Zidane -- who I also heart very much! Unfortunately, on the movie front, b/c of my daughters, if it doesn't have cartoon characters or a plot involving talking animals, I will probably not see it before it comes out in DVD. Waaahh! Too bad because it looks like it R.O.C.K.S!

à plus tard,

Philippe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
botto said:
i knew that someone was going to feel compelled to comment on that. :rolleyes:

i made my smart ass remark to my friends, but left it at that. after all, they're grown men.

for what it's worth, the pic was taken when we were in the midst of a 6-7 km climb, that averaged +/- 10%, the shallowest grade being about 6-7 %, with several walls of 18-20+ % - the kind of walls that are so steep that you'll pop a wheelie if you're seated, and your rear wheel skids out because the roads are wet.

they were going less that 10 MPH.

once we hit the top, they put their helmets back on.

happy?
no offense man, what you do with your head ,is your business. I've just always been curious about it.

See, in Nova Scotia it's Law to wear one, so I've grown up quite used to seeing people with their helmets hanging around their bars cause it's "not cool" and then slapping them on when they see the cops [50$ fine].

Now here in Quebec, it's not manditory, but I still see folks doing the same thing and I wonder... why they don't just leave it at home.

So for you to say tome " we were cooling off and going slow " makes perfect sense and answers my question. Thank ya
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,941 Posts
Sintesi said:
Why. Why is Germany so clean and beautiful? Why!!??
Another good reason to be envious of the Germans:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top