Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the rest-day write up on the TTT, they ping Discovery Channel for only having the first 3 riders on the aero bars, claiming that this cost them time.

Weren't aerobars invented because triatheletes aren't allowed to draft? First, wouldn't the aerodynamic advanteage of aerobars be minimal in a paceline, and second, I'd think that you could ride closer with a wider grip on the bars.

Maybe I'm just wrong, but I somehow doubt that was Disco's problem.

They just got beat. Outridden by faster guys, or equally fast guys having better days.

--Shannon
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,287 Posts
tube_ee said:
In the rest-day write up on the TTT, they ping Discovery Channel for only having the first 3 riders on the aero bars, claiming that this cost them time.

Weren't aerobars invented because triatheletes aren't allowed to draft? First, wouldn't the aerodynamic advanteage of aerobars be minimal in a paceline, and second, I'd think that you could ride closer with a wider grip on the bars.

Maybe I'm just wrong, but I somehow doubt that was Disco's problem.

They just got beat. Outridden by faster guys, or equally fast guys having better days.

--Shannon
Eh. Interesting. The pace is dictated by the guy at the front. Its HIS speed everyone else has to go.

I think LeMond pioneered aerobars in one TdF. His mechanics stuck them on in the last minute or something becuase they didn't want anyone else knowing the "secret". Someone correct me on this.

If the front guy dictates the speed, then how is someone behind you going to increase the speed? Everyone else is "recovering".

So the question is what is better for recovering? Getting in the aerobars to be more aero to decrease wind resistance for yourself behind the first rider? Or sitting up, opening up the lungs while working a hair harder because you're taking more wind?

Or maybe they just don't trust pros' bike handling skills more than 4 deep in sketchy aerobars. I could see this being a possibility. My team rule is if you're not 1st or 2nd, stay out of the frikkin' bars. But we're not -by any strech of the word- pros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
Has anyone ever been gored by aero bars?




Cruzer2424 said:
Or maybe they just don't trust pros' bike handling skills more than 4 deep in sketchy aerobars. I could see this being a possibility. My team rule is if you're not 1st or 2nd, stay out of the frikkin' bars. But we're not -by any strech of the word- pros.
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,287 Posts
bas said:
Has anyone ever been gored by aero bars?
Oh. haha. that's not what i'm referring to.

But have you seen triathletes in a paceline? :rolleyes:

Its like a contest to see who can get taken out the most times. "OOOOH! *eyes light up* Lets get as close as we can and touch it with our front wheel!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
benefit

Cruzer2424 said:
Eh. Interesting. The pace is dictated by the guy at the front. Its HIS speed everyone else has to go.

I think LeMond pioneered aerobars in one TdF. His mechanics stuck them on in the last minute or something becuase they didn't want anyone else knowing the "secret". Someone correct me on this.

If the front guy dictates the speed, then how is someone behind you going to increase the speed? Everyone else is "recovering".

So the question is what is better for recovering? Getting in the aerobars to be more aero to decrease wind resistance for yourself behind the first rider? Or sitting up, opening up the lungs while working a hair harder because you're taking more wind?

Or maybe they just don't trust pros' bike handling skills more than 4 deep in sketchy aerobars. I could see this being a possibility. My team rule is if you're not 1st or 2nd, stay out of the frikkin' bars. But we're not -by any strech of the word- pros.
There definitely is a benefit of riding in your aerobars in a paceline. Unless you have NO wind resistence, any aero advantage is a benefit. And being in a paceline, if in last position, does not eliminate wind resistance.

Also, about the LeMond areobars being put on at the last moment. I don't think so. My recollection is that the team was concerned Greg would be DQ'd for using the aerobars so they talked with the UCI about them well in advance, hence, no surprise.
 

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
I believe this:

- everybody in a TTT has to take a turn up front. So aero makes a difference.

- Also, drafting someone doesn't eliminate all your drag so it still pays to have aero bars to start with. Aero suit, aero bike, etc.

I wrote all the scientific backing for this on a napkin but my dog ate it!:p

fc
 

·
E Plurbus Elvis
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
I think LeMond pioneered aerobars in one TdF. His mechanics stuck them on in the last minute or something becuase they didn't want anyone else knowing the "secret". Someone correct me on this.
I'll correct you on this. The credit for aerobars in pro cycling should fall on team 7-Eleven. The entire 7-Eleven team used aero bars, helmets, and skinsuits in the Tour DUPONT in the Spring of '89 and later that year in the Tour de France.
Photo evidence: http://grahamwatson.com/dublin/misc/image11.html
7-Eleven's results weren't impressive, but LeMond was intrigued. He started training with aerobars but didn't use them until the final ITT in that year's Tour de France.

LeMond should get credit for popularizing them though. Had LeMond not used them to beat Fignon, it probably would have taken a few years before any of the other GC riders would have tried them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
ElvisMerckx said:
I'll correct you on this. The credit for aerobars in pro cycling should fall on team 7-Eleven. The entire 7-Eleven team used aero bars, helmets, and skinsuits in the Tour DUPONT in the Spring of '89 and later that year in the Tour de France.
Photo evidence: http://grahamwatson.com/dublin/misc/image11.html
7-Eleven's results weren't impressive, but LeMond was intrigued. He started training with aerobars but didn't use them until the final ITT in that year's Tour de France.

LeMond should get credit for popularizing them though. Had LeMond not used them to beat Fignon, it probably would have taken a few years before any of the other GC riders would have tried them.
Actually, if I remember correctly from my '89 Tour video, LeMond actually first busted out the aero bars in the Prologue in Luxembourg, and most famously used them to beat Fignon for the yellow jersey on the final day's time trial.
 

·
E Plurbus Elvis
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
ziggurat22 said:
Actually, if I remember correctly from my '89 Tour video, LeMond actually first busted out the aero bars in the Prologue in Luxembourg, and most famously used them to beat Fignon for the yellow jersey on the final day's time trial.
Nope, we're both wrong. LeMond first used them in the Stage 5 ITT, then again in the finale.

7-Eleven was still first.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top