Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left on a bike after work on last Wed. evening to make a three night cycling/camping trip to meet my family at the beach for a week of sand and sun.

I climbed up to cross the river via the Conowingo Dam and then descended back into Port Deposit just to climb back out. We camped the first night in a friends yard. He was gracious enough to provide us with a fire pit, chairs and free refreshments.

The next two nights we stayed in state parks in Del.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We continued the next day to the first state park. We did 92 miles the first full day. After we pulled our trailers into the campground, we gathered firewood and changed into our last night clothes. We went to town and ate a grand dinner. Every night we would go out and eat. Of course, we ate hotdogs for breakfast both mornings. Three hotdogs are a lot of fuel.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were some great scenes and the beach was the final reward.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trailers worked great as usual. They are a bit more of a load to drag up hills but the ease of use, waterproof bag, and simplicity are nice.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Boy, I wish I had a beach I could ride to (well, I guess I could go to Cali). You don't look too overloaded for the 3 days, but hotdogs for breakfast? I don't know about that :).

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Boy, I wish I had a beach I could ride to (well, I guess I could go to Cali). You don't look too overloaded for the 3 days, but hotdogs for breakfast? I don't know about that :).
Lake Tahoe has beaches :) Head over the hill. If you want a longer ride, head out to Pyramid.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Big asked me to critique his photos, chime in if you like.

#1) the rusty truck=I shoot the 420 in the vivid mode which would make these colors "pop" more. I'd also crop this one to remove the grass in the foreground right up to the bottom of the bicycle tire.

#2) the dam=the sky is your problem here it is so much brighter than the ground that you can't get good detail and color in both. I shoot almost of my outdoor images with a 2 stop graduated neutral density filter that would darken the sky nicely here without changing the foreground a bit. Your other option would be to only shoot images like this within a half hour of sunset but there would sill be quite a difference between the sky and land.

#3) the fire pit=just too dark an image overall but the best of this batch. A tighter crop would remove some of the dark at the edges at the edge of the frame.

#4) the bike= the light was good here, shoot this in vivid mode for better color. Again it wouldn't hurt to crop the foreground.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
#1) the tent=I'd say get lower and closer to the tent. Put the bottom of the tent at the lower edge of the frame, that will keep the trees in the frame with a better view of the tent.

#2) old barn falling down=Notice how you have great sky detail but lost the shadow detail. My solution is the graduated ND filter.

#3) building wall=overexposed. The shadow of the building on the plants is correctly exposed, everything else is overexposed. Unless that shadow is the important part of the image this needs to be darker.

#4) wall detail=nicely exposed but you have the center of interest (the window) in the exact center of the frame. The shot would likely be more interesting to the viewer if the window was offset (check out the rule of thirds).

#5) hotdogs=where is mine?!?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
bigrider said:
There were some great scenes and the beach was the final reward.
Now these are much better.

1) Cyclist from behind=you shot this with the sun at your back so the light balance is better between the sky and the ground although the sky is still a lot lighter it hasn't lost all color and detail.

2) Reflection=very little sky in this one so the lighting problems are solved. Might have been better if you rotated the camera 90 degrees to get more of the water into the shot.

3) Close up of a fence=Sweet, great focus and depth of field! Again, not having any sky in the frame solves the lighting issues.

4) Pond scum=nice crop and colors but check out the rule of thirds for placement of the main tree.

5) Backwards shot of your trailer and the landscape=Your best yet. Notice how you shot with the sun behind the camera while in the shade. The shade acted as a giant lens hood and the lighting in this one is very even. Notice how there is detail and color in both the sky and the land. Plus the flag in the frame and the shadows at the bottom of the frame add foreground interest. I also like that the horizon isn't in the exact center of the frame.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
MB1 said:
#3) the fire pit=just too dark an image overall but the best of this batch. A tighter crop would remove some of the dark at the edges at the edge of the frame.
Took the liberty of doing a little playing around.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
bigrider said:
Just a few more.
The 2 water scenes work great, the horizon is nicely placed and the subject is off center keeping the images from being static. You got nice and close to the fisherman too.

The horizon in the fisherman shot is tilted but that is easly corrected. These 2 are really nice images.

The landscape needs to be lightened and the horizon splits the image in half and what I assume is the center of interest (the building) is too close to the center of the frame. Really good lighting for this one if you open the exposure just a bit.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
BigRider,

Nice pics. I love the colors in the-trees-in-the-water-with-no-pond-scum picture. Also the wave breaking was really good, the action of the foam is really good.
Looks like you are enjoying the 420.
Approximately what was your route?

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zeytin said:
BigRider,

Approximately what was your route?

Traveled from HdG to Darlington, crossed the dam on Rt. 1 went south to Port Deposit, and then west to Northeast.

The next day Northeast to 896 across the canal. After the canal we took the middle of the state route south following bike route 1 always close to the railroad tracks and Rt. 15.

The third day we continued south to Trappe Pond. The fourth day was due east into Bethany.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.