Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had enough. Another cyclist was killed here in Augusta. Driver actually ran off the road and hit him then left the scene. Now he's cooling his heels I'm the pokey.
Anyho, here's my thought. We ride opposing traffic. I know it's not perfect but at least we'll be able to see vehicles coming. What say you RBR members?

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I've had enough. Another cyclist was killed here in Augusta. Driver actually ran off the road and hit him then left the scene. Now he's cooling his heels I'm the pokey.
Anyho, here's my thought. We ride opposing traffic. I know it's not perfect but at least we'll be able to see vehicles coming. What say you RBR members?
Well that is what runners do. My gut likes it b ut not sure about turns.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I see people up here on vacation (Breckenridge, CO) and they all rent bikes and ride on the wrong side of the road. Then you see that car making a right hand turn and they're only looking to their left, where traffic should be coming from, and then you get some real awkwardness amongst the driver and a bunch of people that are very unfamiliar on their bikes. I would never do it for that reason. And I think you can get a ticket too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
NO.
Ride with traffic. When you ride against traffic, you're vastly more unpredictable to the drivers that are NOT trying to kill you. You can't see signage and signals, you aren't in the right place in turning-lane situations, you're crossing streets abruptly and from the wrong side, and generally disobeying traffic laws, which, when followed, are designed to keep street users in predictable and safe order.

You want to help make cycling safer? Be the responsible road user you wish all drivers and riders were. Follow the rules of the road. Then fight for bike infrastructure. Fight to reduce car use. DONT live in suburbia, where we force ourselves to drive our cars 20 minutes to buy a gallon of milk. Promote walkable and ridable communities instead of our sprawling American oil-induced landscape. Promote public transportation and light rail. Wouldn't it be lovely if we rode everywhere instead of drove cars?

·
Registered
641 Posts
When you are running, you are not going very fast. You can easily step out of the way if the car cannot get over. You don't have to worry about getting blocked out by the curb, hitting the side of the road and falling into traffic, etc. Bicycles are vehicles and are treated as such. I feel it highly likely that riding on the wrong side of the road would do far more harm than good.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Actually stupid idea comes to mind but who am I to judge? Tell you what, I'll keep riding with traffic and you ride against traffic. Let us know how that works out for you.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yeah, these are the idiots I almost hit on the part of my ride that
unavoidably goes through a "bike-friendly" park.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
I'm really liking the grooves cut into the edge of the road between the shoulder and the lane that they have been installing more frequently. I believe they are for tired drivers, to warn them when they are crossing the fog line. It also allows a cyclist to hear a vehicle approaching from the rear. This has saved my butt once this year already, I heard a car hit those behind me and I swerved out of the way just in time.

I'm curious if the accident the OP told us about was caused by a distracted driver?

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I don't even like the concept of pedestrians going against the flow of traffic.

people act just like squirrels when they see an oncoming vehicle...

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
I could probably take any of my rides and think of 101 ways that this would make it more dangerous. Right off the bat, making any right hand turn from the opposite side of the road. :eek:

On my ride this morning, there's a winding downhill with a left turn lane at the bottom. Speed limit is 25mph (which no car ever obeys). But I can take the lane and easily ride 25-30mph using the whole road and protecting myself from being passed. Then at the bottom move into the left turn lane.
If I had to do this hill on the left side... yikes. I'd have to ride real slow to make sure I didn't drift into the lane. Cars going up the hill go fast around the sharp corners, and usually cut close to or over the white line. We'd be blind to each other and I'd have nowhere to go once we're on top of each other in the turn.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Crazy?

Yes.
at least we'll be able to see vehicles coming.
I am able to see vehicles coming. I have a mirror.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
A better idea: Make yourself more visible. Wear neon-yellow jerseys, jackets or vests. Use bright LED headlights and taillights.

I cannot believe how many cyclists I see riding on busy roads wearing all black or dark clothing and no lights (or very dim ones) -- often during low-light conditions in early morning or late afternoon. It is no wonder that they get hit by cars.

·
Registered
161 Posts
V crazy ... sounds like a game of chicken

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I've been hit from behind twice.

First time I was doing 25 mph, car was doing 35 mph... net impact = 10 mph.

Second time I was doing 20 mph, car was doing 50 mph... net impact = 30 mph.

My guess is that if I had been headed toward the car in either instance the net impact of 60-70 mph would have killed me.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
The majority of bike/car accidents occur from HEAD ON (apply directly to the forehead!) collisions.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,655 Posts
A better idea: Make yourself more visible. Wear neon-yellow jerseys, jackets or vests. Use bright LED headlights and taillights.

I cannot believe how many cyclists I see riding on busy roads wearing all black or dark clothing and no lights (or very dim ones) -- often during low-light conditions in early morning or late afternoon. It is no wonder that they get hit by cars.
I have no stats to back this up....but I'll bet that most bike accidents that involve a motorist occur in broad daylight.

Every accident I've had, has been in broad daylight...at either a crosswalk or across a driveway....and a blind-as-a-bat-motorist didn't look twice.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Do the roads not have corners where you live? No trees and buildings?

I can't imagine anyone who's ever taken a fast sharp turn in a wooded (or otherwise not open) area thinks having a car taking the same turn in the other direction using the same side of the road is a good idea.

·
Registered
960 Posts
think about what happens when you come to the crest of a hill. If you are going in the same direction as the car in your lane, they see you as you approach the crest of the hill. If they are paying any attention they will not be surprised by your presence when they come over the crest.

now reverse the situation. you are on the left approaching the crest of the hill. on coming traffic has absolutely no warning of your presence. even careful drivers become a danger.

crazy idea. yes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.