Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if the shoe is compatible with the pedal? I am probally going to have to buy the shoes online because no close lbs has shoes. They have pedals but no shoes. So what should I look for?

Also, do biking shoes last a while since you never really walk in them? If I spend that much on shoes I hope they last at least 3+ years. :)

Thanks

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
The description for the shoes will almost always tell what bolt patterns and/or pedal systems they will accomodate. What pedal are you considering and which pair/brand of shoes? If you have any doubt, call either your LBS or the online retailer and ask.

Depending on the brand, you can get years out of pair of cycling shoes. You may end up needing to replace the cleats and/or heel stopper every so often, but the shoes themselves typically last a long time.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
MTB shoes last a lot longer than road shoes because you are walking on tread. With road shoes you are walking on the soles and the cleats.

The only shoes that I'm aware of the heels are replaceable are Sidi's.

Different manufacturer of shoes are known for making narrow, medium, wide, or very wide shoes. If you order shoes that tend to run narrow, you'll need to order 1/2 size larger. Diadoras run narrow. Sidi's run normal to wide and they also have a W wide version.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
sizing

https://www.nashbar.com/tech/sizebody.cfm

It's there on the Nashbar site. Doesn't list Cannondale specifically, but you can see the range. You'd be 43 or 44 probably.

How they last depends on how you use them (miles, rain, how you ride, etc.). I've never seen a road shoe with a worn-out sole. The uppers eventually come apart because of the stresses, but mine have always lasted well longer than your target.

Buying shoes online is a crapshoot re fitting. Just be prepared to send them back for exchange if the fit doesn't work the first time. May cost you a few more bucks for shipping, but you'll still be ahead.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here's how sizing works. You try it on. If it feels good, then it fits. If you cannot try it on, you do not buy it, unless neither you nor the vendor mind sending a lot of them back.

A US 9.5 is approximately a European 43 (or 41 if you're a woman), but I emphasize "approximately". You might start there for your first try.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Cannondale RE5000

I have the Cannondale RE5000, almost the same. Very nice shoe, very stiff, well ventilated, lightweight, for me comfortable, heels wear fast, carbon sole chips, great price at Nashbar. If they fit and are comfortable, you won't be disappointed. They are made by Diadora and run narrow, if you have a wide foot you need to order 1/2 size larger.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
lawrence said:
That Nashbar sizing chart is good for length but it doesn't tell you which manufacturers run narrow or wide.
I realize that. OP didn't understand Euro sizing at all, I think; that's why I linked to the chart.

You say the Cannondale/Diadora's run narrow. Do you happen to know which brands run wide?

My solution to rapid heel wear has always been Shoe Goo. Actually, my current road shoes have a chunk of old tire tread glued on the heels. Helps a lot with the walking, though the fashion police might frown.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
shoes run narrow and wide

I am not a good example of shoes. My feet are different sizes, one foot is 1 1/2 size longer, 8 1/2 and 10 and the shorter foot is 1 size wider WWW. I ordered the Cannondale/Diadora 1/2 size larger, mine are 43 1/2. I have the Cannondale 3000 MTB and RE5000 road shoes and Adidas El Moro III MTB shoes in size 44.

Adidas and Sidi run wide. I heard Northwave use to run wide but now are a little narrower. I don't know this for sure. Specialized run normal. Specialized were the most comfortable shoe for me, very comfortable! but I bought the Cannondale due to the price at Nashbar. I got the Cannondale at about the price they are now plus a 20% coupon. The Cannondale MTB shoes are more ventilated than the Adidas El Moro, the El Moro have a rubber toe which I like. They are a warmer shoe in the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.