Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my first pair of cycling shoes and I'm torn about the fit. Tried on the 46.5 and they felt snug but comfortable. The 47 felt a little roomier. My question is is it better to go with a snug fit or a looser one

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
A little loose is okay as your feet will swell a little while riding. Your foot shouldn't be moving around in the shoe. Too snug and your feet can start going numb.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
tvad is correct if they are snug and comfortable like you said. I missed the comfortable part of your post. Tight is not good. Loose is not good either. I generally start my ride with my shoes snug and then loosen them up a bit as my feet swell after riding for a while. But I do keep them snug as tvad said.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Snug shoes going tight on a long ride = you're ****ing screwed.

Since you're new to cycling shoes you should go not for a loose shoe, but the looser of the two closest sizes you're between.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
A lot of people don't think about this but you can make fine adjustment by wearing a thicker or thinner pair of socks. I do that sometime depending on how swell are my feet after working all day for an early evening ride.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
A lot of people don't think about this but you can make fine adjustment by wearing a thicker or thinner pair of socks. I do that sometime depending on how swell are my feet after working all day for an early evening ride.
Agreed. Also putting a slightly thinner or thicker insole can help fine tune your fit.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
In my experience, it's better to avoid snug. Feet need to spread when loaded and also will swell slightly when you heat up. Too snug may lead to hot spots and numbness.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
OP, there aren't really any "facts" we can give you, just opinions and personal preferences.

Good point about socks though. When you try on shoes at the store make sure you are wearing an 'average' thickness sock so there's a little room to move either way if you need it.

Personally I prefer "very snug" shoes. I have the same preference when playing basketball, baseball, running, my skates are crazy snug and my street shoes are more snug than the average guy on the street.
The moral of that story is that you might be able to get a clue about your preference in cycling shoes by looking at your preference from other sports and street shoes.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Also remember that natural materials can and will stretch with use. Leather (if conditioned) will conform to your foot contours.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Also remember that natural materials can and will stretch with use. Leather (if conditioned) will conform to your foot contours.
True, but virtually no road or mtb shoe nowadays has any "natural materials". What looks like leather is Lorica or similar synthetic leather which doesn't stretch and maintains size and strength when wet.

For example, over the past 20 years I've had SIDI MX boots, road racing boots, and bicycling shoes and though they all looked like leather, none were.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Or try on shoes from a different manufacturer. I just got new shoes and tried on 5 or 6 pairs to find the ones that were just right. All in the same size. Ones I got don't feel snug but hold my foot securely without feeling squeezed or constrained.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Based on all the feedback I'm getting I think I'm going to go with the looser shoe. Once I tighten all the straps my foot is very secure
just going to add, I did pursue a smaller shoe once when my feet hit a weird small. I have two Mavic shoes: one 42 2/3, and one 42. 42's returned to uselessness in a couple months. Was lucky they were just slightly used shoes at a cheap price.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Not being smart but, how do you know this? I am often confused when people say things like 'snug'. I am thinking, what one person thinks is snug another person may feel is just right. - Confusing eh.
Because every time I buy shoes with the assistance of a shoe salesperson I prefer at least a half size smaller than he/or she recommends. I am assuming the recommendation is based on the average person's preference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.