Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for new cycling shorts. I've been using Pearl Izumi Elite. Have not been very happy with them. I ride between 200 to 300 miles so I thought I try a different brand.

Any suggestions.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
mcgsp said:
In the market for new cycling shorts. I've been using Pearl Izumi Elite. Have not been very happy with them. I ride between 200 to 300 miles so I thought I try a different brand.

Any suggestions.
I'm not familiar with PI's new lineup (they changed the names, I haven't paid attentnion. So I don't know what level of quality the Elite). However, many, many people have problems with their lower end shorts, whilst they like their higher end stuff - stay away from the bottom of the line chamois, et cetera. However, as you get higher up, to nicer PI stuff, it gets much much better. For example I had some Quest shorts (2004, $50, entry level) and hated them. I got back from a ride about 2 hours ago, when I did 60 miles in a pair of PI Microsensor 3DPro Bibs. Pricey, but extremely comfortable. However, PI's pricey stuff has a minimalist chamis. As such over a 60 mile ride, PI=bad idea.
Shorts are very much a personal opinion. Everyone tends to like a different kind of short, for a different reason. Some people like a minimalist, no padding chamois (eg Pearl Izumi 3DPro), while some people like a pillow under their butt (eg Assos FI Mille).
Some brands to check out, in no particular order
Assos
Giordana
Nalini
Descente
Castelli
Excel, Nashbar, et cetera; In house brands are often made by someone reputable. I like Excel's Power shorts, for example, which are $50, made by Nalini, with Power (muscle supporting) lycra.
Adidas
Louis Garneau
Santini
Biemme
DeMarchi
Nike
Verge
Voler

Stay away from Bellwether. Also, if the shorts cost $20, be wary. You get what you pay for.

It's really hard to give you a good answer, because you're so vague. Preferences about short length (long inseam, short inseam), pad firmness/size/depth, budget all come into play and without them, it's impossible to really give any specific and quality answer.

·
It's a Sledgehammer
550 Posts
I'll second Sugoi. I have a pair, forget what model, they cost $60 and are my favorites. I think they are a better value than Giordania which are my second fav. I've been pretty happy with Gore bike wear as well, whereas Voler don't seem to hold up for me.
In the "stay away from" category: Canari. Save your money.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I can't afford the best. Been happiest with Nalini.

My preference is usually for a pretty thin, but wide chamois. Butt pilliows don't work for me on the seat or in my shorts.

Santini - very comfortable, less durable
Giordana - have a pair that I like more and more as they age
Descente - good comfort, excellent durability at a higher price
De Marchi - chamois is thick, feels hot against my skin, shorts conform well to my body
Voler - small waist in proportion to legs - opposite of me, best fat chamois, ime.
PI - liked them ok when they had thinner chamois -
Nalini - long lasting, good fit for me, my first choice for long rides.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with a few of the higher posts, PI's higher end shorts/chamois are really comfortable. My current favorite are cannondale's carbon bibs (http://www.cannondale.com/clothing/06/AW/model-6M200.html) which if you don't like bibs, they also make them in shorts. While they are pricey ($180ish US) they're worth every penny so far.
The other bib's I've been using are the Castelli's Kiss bibs. Moderately priced, but decent for shorter rides (less than 2 hour rides for me).

·
Banned
657 Posts
mcgsp said:

Any suggestions.
Ok, what is your body type? Height, weight & BF please.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
venus said:
Ok, what is your body type? Height, weight & BF please.
Not really necessary at all to recommend shorts... They can pick sizes on their own, preference about inseam lenght and chamois thickness is more important.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Shorts are like saddles, helmets, sex postions, and opinions: what satiates one person, may not for work for another.

FWIW, I've found PI to have the most uncomfortable, flesh removing chamois around. I thought for a while that Sugoi was the "go to" brand, but I think that no longer: QC on their chamois is poor; the chamois don't last long; the durability of their lycra is non-existent; and they won't even respond to customer issues.

Assos F1.13 S2 bibs now coddle my love muffins and provide sweet sucor to my taint and giblets. Yeah, they're expensive, but they've proven their worth on long rides.

You might wanna also look at DeMarchi, Santini, Bergamo, Nalini......they seem to have faithful followings.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
UFO™ said:
Thanks for the links. Assos bibs are not cheap.
yeah :(
If you've not worn any yet, piece of advice. DONT BUY THEM.
Why, you ask?
Well, they're the most damn comfortable bibs you will ever wear. None of your other bibs will feel half as good anymore. It happened to me. As a highschooler, I mourn the day that I got em. Cuz cycling makes you broke to start with...
If you've already tried them on, it's too late :p
-estone2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.