Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughout my cycling days I have added more and more to my wardrobe. First shorts, then a jersey and now clippless pedals. The last thing is cycling socks. Is there really a benefit wearing cycling socks? They seem more expensive than they should be.

Thanks

·
Island Hopping cyclist
430 Posts
I've been using them for a while, and they keep my feet cooler in warm and hot weather, and drier as they wick sweat away faster then cotton. They are also thinner to make your shoe fit better.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Need to shop around a bit

daniell said:
Thoughout my cycling days I have added more and more to my wardrobe. First shorts, then a jersey and now clippless pedals. The last thing is cycling socks. Is there really a benefit wearing cycling socks? They seem more expensive than they should be.

Thanks
If you buy Defeet socks they can be a little pricey, the Nashbar in house socks are just as good as Defeet, probably made by the same vendor, come in colors. When you start buying socks with logos like Castelli and Sidi etc, they again are expensive. They are thinner, synthetic, cooler in summer.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Cooler, drier, thinner--all the major endorsements have been correctly made here.

I'd just like to add that you can do even better on the price by visiting your local Target and buying any of the Cool-Max socks they have on offer. This beats even the Perfbargo house-brand prices most of the time.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
They are cool and comfortable

daniell said:

Thanks
Once I started wearing cycling socks for cycling I liked them so much I started wearing them with running shoes. Now they are the only casual socks I wear in the summer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm actually weird about this because I like wearing cycling socks with running shoes and in casual dress but I really can't stand them in cycling shoes

·
Registered
396 Posts
bikerbrian said:
I'm actually weird about this because I like wearing cycling socks with running shoes and in casual dress but I really can't stand them in cycling shoes
Hell, I wear them to work... nothing better than some Peal Izumi black cycling socks to brighten up the business casual attire. Cycling socks can be a statement, especially for those ex-mountainbikers... we get the wierd ones.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
daniell said:
Is there really a benefit wearing cycling socks?
Yes, cycling socks give you the chance to have cows or flamingoes on your sox.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Argentius said:
socks in cycling shoes can't be cotton, and must be thin.
Why?:confused: I hardly can stand any non-cotton socks while cycling (especially on longer rides) and normally prefer reasonably thick ones.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
It's comforting to know that however trivial the question, you somehow come up with an answer that is both concise and at the apex of sanity. You are an example to your fellow cafetaria employees, NTTAWWT.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
oy, if it works for you. I think cotton gets super-nasty when wet from sweat or rain -- to say nothing of the smell after.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I like Defeet sox because they are cool and thin. I have some that I purchased from Speedplay that has their logo on them. I also have a pair of Specialized Body Geometry sox that are specific to the left and right foot and have a circle pad on the bottom that is supposed to help prevent hot spots. They are pricey and a little thicker than Defeet but might be helpful to some folks who have foot problems. I bought them because I was unable to resist the sales pitch from a hot chica who was sporting a pair!

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you like cotton socks, at least try out some wool socks instead... I've been converting all of my socks to wool but there isn't a ton of selection.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Argentius said:
oy, if it works for you. I think cotton gets super-nasty when wet from sweat or rain -- to say nothing of the smell after.
I don't see that it makes a much of a difference. I use Coolmax socks for trail running because over long distances they will get damp from sweat, but there is so much air flowing over my feet while cycling I have never had a problem with sweating in cycling shoes.

I also don't see that the fit argument holds much water. If you buy shoes that fit with a certain thickness of socks, they fit with that thickness of socks. Using a thinner sock doesn't make them fit better. You might be able to buy a half size smaller shoe, maybe, but so what?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
snapdragen said:
Yes, cycling socks give you the chance to have cows or flamingoes on your sox.
You know if it weren't for cycling socks, I wouldn't have this sweet pair of black socks that on the cuff say, in pink and yellow, "Super Freak." They're my good luck socks. I wear 'em if I have to present at a conference. I wear 'em to formal functions. I wear 'em when I go to the cafeteria.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Toe numbness is my number one enemy, and in the process of conquering it, have found that anything which puts more than a certain amount of pressure on my feet will cause it. When I purchased my Shimano shoes I was wearing my Speedplay socks and my left foot which is bigger than the right was snug. Thicker socks didn't fit into that shoe without squeezing too much. I notice now that the shoes seem to have stretched a bit and I am able to wear a thicker sock in it. I couldn't even get my foot in two other brands of shoes I tried in the same size. I am envious of riders who can just grab bargains off the net, but unless I know the shoe fits I don't want to buy it. I haven't faced up to the moral delimma of buying a second pair of the same shoes off the net, but I won't go into the LBS and waste their time just to find out what fits, and then puchase them elsewhere.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Argentius said:
^

YMMV, but in my experience cotton socks smell much less. In rain - yes, you are right.
Concerning sweat - I prefer CoolMax for jerseys etc., but for socks for some reasons it does not work (for me) - beomes nasty in ~1 hour.

·
Registered
985 Posts
stevee said:
Toe numbness is my number one enemy, and in the process of conquering it, have found that anything which puts more than a certain amount of pressure on my feet will cause it. When I purchased my Shimano shoes I was wearing my Speedplay socks and my left foot which is bigger than the right was snug.
Try Specialized shoes. Tey are very roomy in toe area, especially CompCarbon model (Pro is a little bit narrower, but only a very little bit)) .
I have wide feet but I can ride in these shoes in 2 pair of socks (thin wool socks + thick polypropilen county skiing socks) without any discomfort or pressure on feet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts