Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many superstitions are there in cycling?

There is the classic "I never get flats with these _________ tires." Then you are guaranteed to get a flat your next ride. "I never crash." "I never break stuff." Same thing. Anyone have anecdotal evidence that these superstitions have some truth to them? I swear they can be very real.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Fixed said:
How many superstitions are there in cycling?

There is the classic "I never get flats with these _________ tires." Then you are guaranteed to get a flat your next ride. "I never crash." "I never break stuff." Same thing. Anyone have anecdotal evidence that these superstitions have some truth to them? I swear they can be very real.

If I take a day off work to ride, it's fine as long it's an offical day off..

If I play hooky, something will go wrong with my ride...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup

Dave Hickey said:

Yes, there is something about being guilty of something that affects your chances of something going wrong.

I seem to recall that the more I prepare for a ride, the more likely it is that something goes wrong. When I just jump on and go, everything seems to go ok. First double I did, I decided Thursday evening to ride it on Saturday, and it was a few hundred miles away. Everything fine. When I spend weeks getting everything perfect, something bizarre happens.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Commuting headwinds

If you ride to work into a wicked headwind, the weather will change during the day, and you will ride home into another headwind.

I am well aware that this is an irrational superstition -- it doesn't really happen that way more often than random weather patterns would predict, at least in this part of the world.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Whatever is mentioned, it will occur on the next ride...the bad stuff in many cases.

When I ride, I hope to come upon some young gals in bikini's. What I will likely see is some unfit dude shirtless with what my wife describes as the "jiggly belly and man boobs". :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
anybody ever hear this cycling tale?

i like to tell this to my non cycling coworkers. back in the old days of bike racing. the riders used to take a nice hunk of steak and put it in their shorts for padding. it provided good cushioning, almost like a good chamois. after the race the meat would be all nice and tenderized. the riders would turn the steak over to the team chefs and they would cook it up for the rider's dinner

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
disgusting

ocd said:
i like to tell this to my non cycling coworkers. back in the old days of bike racing. the riders used to take a nice hunk of steak and put it in their shorts for padding. it provided good cushioning, almost like a good chamois. after the race the meat would be all nice and tenderized. the riders would turn the steak over to the team chefs and they would cook it up for the rider's dinner
That's disgusting, at least the eating it part. Got to be better butt protection, too.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
JCavilia said:
If you ride to work into a wicked headwind, the weather will change during the day, and you will ride home into another headwind.

I am well aware that this is an irrational superstition -- it doesn't really happen that way more often than random weather patterns would predict, at least in this part of the world.
Superstition nothing- that happens to me all the time!! :mad2:

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
JCavilia said:

That sounds like spring on the central coast here in California.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
robbyracer said:
That sounds like spring on the central coast here in California.
Yeah, it can actually work like that on mountain slopes and coastal settings, with the wind commonly reversing from morning to evening. I grew up in Reno, where the heating desert would often generate westward winds in the morning, and then the cold air would flow down eastward from the mountains in the late afternoon. Here in New England, winds are determined by weather systems, and they don't have that rythm.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
ocd said:
... and I have some "waterfront property" you might be interested in.....

or might you be more interested in a nice bridge?

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
"I'm going easy tonight" equals having an unmerciful slaughterfest of a ride.

Those clouds are heading the other way (or the Weather Channel said no rain)- you're getting wet.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
it IS possible to ride uphill both ways...and usually, any downhill you encounter will be counteracted by a headwind.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I keep caps on the valve stems on the commuter. I protects me from flats, alligators, and the menehui.

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
Dave Hickey said:

Crap I was gonna ditch work tomorrow and ride. Now I can't knowing that :mad2:

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Technically, I don't think they count as superstitions if they come true every time.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cause and effect?

jupiterrn said:
Technically, I don't think they count as superstitions if they come true every time.
Something could be "associated" but nonetheless not have any causal relationship, right? I think this could qualify as a superstition. The most persistent superstitions are probably those where we see a very close relationship, but there is no plausible physical cause and effect.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I've got my "lucky" team sox that I only wear for "important" races anymore. It's not the same if I wear my white team sox, or my blue team sox. The old orange, red and yellow ones are the only ones that I feel that "help" me out when things get tough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts