Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using any supplements that help cycling overall?I used DHEA for about 1.5 weeks... it was winter but I got one ride in and it made me feel strong - but I wasn't sure if it was DHEA or that I haven't ridden in a while. It also gave me really wild dreams. I gave it up after reading its potential side effects. Plus, I thought it was the reason for my breakthrough in running speed. But since I gave it up, I have still been improving my running times.This week, I went on a natural supplement Rhodiola Rosea. I felt good riding today, but then compared my speed vs. last year and it was slower... despite warmer temps than last years comparable ride.Anyone have a supplement that they can swear by?

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I see a lot of ads for EPO Boost, i wonder what that's like?
EPO Boost is bascially an iron supplement. No different in effect than what you can buy in quantity at the local pharmacy/chemist. Iron supplementation is a good thing if you have the data showing low blood iron levels. It is a bad thing if your blood levels are at the high end. Google hemochromatosis. Supplements are appropriate when you have a measured deficiency.

There's an old saying about supplements: there are those that improve performance and those that are legal. That said beet juice is getting lots of buzz these days. Time will tell.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
I'm starting to use creatine buuuuuuuuuutttttt it's not to help me ride faster. Maybe it will help me to recover faster and build some sexy cycling thighs but yeah. I just want to look good naked since I'm going back to school and want to find me a looker I figure some pecs will draw in the honies. I'm kind of small since I've always been and most likely always will be an endurance athlete.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
start training smarter, all the drugs and herbs and vitamins in the world won't make you faster, but they could give you cancer. Your body isn't a car that you dump NOS down your intake and increase your wattage output by 100 watts! The human body responds to proper training and that can increase your wattage by 100 watts.

Why didn't you read about the side effects of anything you were thinking about taking before you ran out and bought it or took someone's word about it?

Rhodiola Rosea causes Insomnia, Irritability, Mild Jitters or Shakes, Restlessness, Vivid Dreams, Anxiety, Heart palpitations, Panicked Feeling (not quite a panic attack), Rapid Heart Beat.

DHEA causes acne, hair loss, stomach upset, and high blood pressure. Some women can have changes in menstrual cycle, facial hair growth, and a deeper voice; when used in larger amounts and long-term. Do not use DHEA in doses higher than 50-100 mg a day or for a long period of time; DHEA is a hormone that can affect how estrogen works in the body. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use DHEA. Liver problems: DHEA might make liver problems worse. Don’t use DHEA if you have liver problems. Diabetes: DHEA can affect how insulin works in the body. If you have diabetes, monitor your blood sugar carefully if you are taking DHEA. Depression and mood disorders: There is some concern that patients with a history of depression and bipolar disorder might have some mental side effects if they use DHEA. DHEA can cause mania (excitability and impulsiveness), irritability, and sexual inappropriateness in people with mood disorders. If you have a mood disorder, be sure to discuss DHEA with your healthcare provider before you start taking it. Also, pay attention to any changes in how you feel. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): Taking DHEA might make this condition worse. Don’t use DHEA if you have PCOS. Cholesterol problems: DHEA might lower “good cholesterol” (high lipoprotein cholesterol, HDL). If your HDL level is already too low, discuss DHEA with your healthcare provider before you start taking it.

Most of the stuff in health food stores is crap and can be very dangerous especially the longer you use a lot of it. There is no federal regulations over the garbage health food stores can sell you so you have no ideal it their safe, and most of time their not.

I don't take any multi-vitamins or other supplements and I never did in 40 odd years of riding and racing. All I need I get from food and exercise, and so can you if you eat right and train right, so save yourself some money and start doing things smarter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just don't pop a ****** by accident; lycra doesn't offer much resistance to hide behind. On second thought it will probably make you faster since you would have to ride off the front so no one could see.:thumbsup:

***I can't believe I was censored...It wasn't even a bad word!***

***V.I.A.G.R.A***

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Just don't pop a ****** by accident; lycra doesn't offer much resistance to hide behind. On second thought it will probably make you faster since you would have to ride off the front so no one could see.:thumbsup:

***I can't believe I was censored...It wasn't even a bad word!***

***V.I.A.G.R.A***
They censored V.I.A.G.R.A.? that's funny!! yet that word is on national TV advertisements even during shows with kids watching!!! Oh my god, I'm laughing my arse off as I type this.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Anyone using any supplements that help cycling overall?I used DHEA for about 1.5 weeks... it was winter but I got one ride in and it made me feel strong - but I wasn't sure if it was DHEA or that I haven't ridden in a while. It also gave me really wild dreams. I gave it up after reading its potential side effects. Plus, I thought it was the reason for my breakthrough in running speed. But since I gave it up, I have still been improving my running times.This week, I went on a natural supplement Rhodiola Rosea. I felt good riding today, but then compared my speed vs. last year and it was slower... despite warmer temps than last years comparable ride.Anyone have a supplement that they can swear by?
I am doing the herbalife 24 line. It seems pretty good and gives me lots of energy

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No help from me. I prefer to get my nutrition from food. But different strokes, y'know?

Whenever someone reports, "I took this and felt good on my next ride," I always want to see a randomized trial. There's a strong likelihood of placebo effect when you pay for something that you want to work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As others have stated, your best bang for the buck will be to eat and hydrate properly. Protein, carbs, and small amounts of sodium will go a long way. Protein bars are pretty good for before, during, and after a ride as well. For during hydration I use Advocare Rehydrate which works really well and does not have half the sugar of Gatorade. Accelerade makes some really good mixes as well that work great and help you stay hydrated/functioning properly. If I am doing a century ride I usually start eating and drinking with the event in mind 1.5-2 days out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't buy into the hype of "cycling specific supplements". 9/10 times you can find them branded differently @ bodybuilding.com. Just look for the main ingredient on the Cycling Supplement on bodybuilding.com and then match it.

I've been supplementing since 22 when I was a gym rat. I pretty much know what works and what doesnt (at least for myself). At the very minimum take whey protein post ride - it repairs muscle fibers = helps for recovery.

I'm starting to use creatine buuuuuuuuuutttttt it's not to help me ride faster.
It's a cell volumizer. It doesn't help with recovery. Protein does.

Before you guys take anything read up on it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Tart Cherry juice from Trader Joes.
Studies indicate it may reduce muscle soreness.
Like any of these things its hard to tell if it is really working.
I do take DHEA because I am deficient and Hydrocortisone as well (Addison's Disease)

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
I didn't say creatine is going to make me faster. It's going help me look good naked in conjunction with correctly periodized lifting and proper nutrition. I know enough about nutrition and physiology to not be dangerous.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
I took creatine back when I was bodybuilding. It helps as long as you use it, but as soon as you stop it goes away. I was stronger, but I retained more water and gained weight. I would not recommend it for biking at all.

The only thing legal that helps me is caffeine, taking it some time into a very long ride helps, but it wears off quickly like a sugar buzz. Getting enough sleep and training properly is a big boost, and I know everybody says that, but most of us don't get enough sleep.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you want to know what has been proven to boost performance, look at the NCAA banned substances list. If it is on the list, it has been proven to work. Anything else is just part of proper nutrition and knowing what your body needs to repair itself after you abuse it.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
My thought process behind the creatine is that I'm dropping from 150 to 135-140 (my old racing weight) and don't want to lose any muscle so I'm taking creatine and putting up with the water weight and such then ditching the creatine when I'm around 140 and hopefully don't lose any/much muscle in the process.

+50 for the caffeine. It really only works if you don't drink caffeine every day though.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.