Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get more ink done soon, and for the past few years I planned on having my right upper arm sleeved with japanese koi fish, in the typical japanese bodysuit/yakuza style.

But the more I thougth about it, the more I realized that what I REALLY want is something that reflects my two decades of racing road and CX. I remember seeing some really good tattoo art on a bike mechanic in NY, who had a Campy Super Record rear derailleur on his arm. So here's my question:

Imagine you're an old school rodie, racing since the 80's and current elite level CX racer who loves steel bikes and campy (but also rides shimano, etc) and you want to get your right upper arm sleeved with cycling related artwork.

What would you get?
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
the seamus said:
I'm looking to get more ink done soon, and for the past few years I planned on having my right upper arm sleeved with japanese koi fish, in the typical japanese bodysuit/yakuza style.

But the more I thougth about it, the more I realized that what I REALLY want is something that reflects my two decades of racing road and CX. I remember seeing some really good tattoo art on a bike mechanic in NY, who had a Campy Super Record rear derailleur on his arm. So here's my question:

Imagine you're an old school rodie, racing since the 80's and current elite level CX racer who loves steel bikes and campy (but also rides shimano, etc) and you want to get your right upper arm sleeved with cycling related artwork.

What would you get?

a pic of Lance Armstrong on his Trek... j/k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FatTireFred said:
a pic of Lance Armstrong on his Trek... j/k
LOL, probably not. I'm thinking more like the route for Paris Roubaix, a C-Record rear derailleur, that sort of thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
I would stay away from particular products or logos. Kind of like not getting a tatto of a band unless you are in the band. Do you have a club/team that you have raced with for a long time? I like the P-R idea. Something old-school euro themed would be cool.
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
the seamus said:
LOL, probably not. I'm thinking more like the route for Paris Roubaix, a C-Record rear derailleur, that sort of thing.

The P-R route is not always the same... how about some cobblestones, like the P-R logo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FatTireFred said:
The P-R route is not always the same... how about some cobblestones, like the P-R logo?

True enough, but the logo itself hasn't always been around, or at least I don't think it has. I would probably pick a specific year for the PR route, say the year I started riding for example. Maybe a map of the 1989 TDF route would be good. That was a few years later but a great tour.
 

·
tofurkey hunting
Joined
·
4,733 Posts
as with all good sleeves, you need some sort of structure to hold it all together. how bout the switchbacks of alpe d'huez? or at least a good portion. that would give you nice movement across and up the sleeve.

i'll be getting my (partially) cycling related tattoo in a week or two (have to make the appt AND the gf is paying for it...aaah, a keeper).

anyway, rock on. good idea on the tat and the thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
The other day I was reading a post where someone was making fun of "chainring tattoos" when you hit your leg with a greasy chainring, I thought that would be a great tattoo.

It would be great if someone told you about it as if you were supposed to wipe it off or something. And if you ever got a real one it wouldn't matter since you'd be used to the other kind.

Also it would be one of those things only cyclists would understand, like how only people who shoot high-powered rifles know where my friend Donny got an arched scar on his brow. Its fun to go to gun shops with him.
 

·
100% torqued
Joined
·
766 Posts
I immediately went to cobbles as a texture or background. A Lion of Flanders coat of arms with the Campy shield as an opposite similar image shape. Throw in some lugs. Maybe attempt a large Keltic weave using lugs and tubing instead of serpents.
 

·
Racial Profiler
Joined
·
348 Posts
the seamus said:
I'm looking to get more ink done soon, and for the past few years I planned on having my right upper arm sleeved with japanese koi fish, in the typical japanese bodysuit/yakuza style.
Are you in the Yakuza? If not, I wouldn't recommend a yakuza bodysuit.

A friend of mine (very anglo) got a big Celtic armband - he said it was to celebrate his Celtic roots.

Then he started talking Japanese characters - I asked him if it was to celebrate his Japanese heritage...

That was the last he said about that.

How about a Koi fish on a Bicycle? Then any time a woman uses the old quote, you just point to the tat.

Sage words of advice from my tattoo artist while pondering my next piece of work - "When all else fails, get a pin-up girl."
 

·
100% torqued
Joined
·
766 Posts
Howzitbroke said:
I immediately went to cobbles as a texture or background. A Lion of Flanders coat of arms with the Campy shield as an opposite similar image shape. Throw in some lugs. Maybe attempt a large Keltic weave using lugs and tubing instead of serpents.
I just looked at my own post, Celtic you idiot. Ha. Yes, my family is 4 generations removed from Ireland. Northwest part of the Island. Shannon family name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
wasserbox said:
Are you in the Yakuza? If not, I wouldn't recommend a yakuza bodysuit.

A friend of mine (very anglo) got a big Celtic armband - he said it was to celebrate his Celtic roots.

Then he started talking Japanese characters - I asked him if it was to celebrate his Japanese heritage...

That was the last he said about that.

How about a Koi fish on a Bicycle? Then any time a woman uses the old quote, you just point to the tat.

Sage words of advice from my tattoo artist while pondering my next piece of work - "When all else fails, get a pin-up girl."
he didn't say he's getting a bodysuit, he said he might get a koi fish in the body'suit STYLE. which, btw, is very common to do outside of the Yakuza.
 

·
Racial Profiler
Joined
·
348 Posts
cmatcan said:
he didn't say he's getting a bodysuit, he said he might get a koi fish in the body'suit STYLE. which, btw, is very common to do outside of the Yakuza.
I still think a Koi on a bicycle would be cool.

"Common" is the most important word in what you said.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top