Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just noticed that Butterfield and Robinson(guessing others as well) embracing e-bikes

To me this makes the vacation no longer about biking but seeing things and the bike or e-bike is merely how one gets there. might as well ride a moped or motorcycle in my book.

Our Bikes - Butterfield & Robinson

SCOTT E-VENTURE ELECTRIC-ASSIST BIKE Assistance Whenever it’s Needed Our Scott E-Venture bikes are regular pedal bikes that provide electric assistance whenever you want it. With both the battery and the drive train in the center of the bike frame, this electric-assist bike is as stable as they come. With four different assist-level modes, state-of-the-art Bosch drive system, and an extremely comfortable ride, this bike offers it all. Learn everything you need to know about e-bikes in Butterfield & Robinson’s Know Before You Go

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's probably more about inclusion and expanding their audience. They're attracting older people who may not be able to complete a tour without some extra help.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Since they cater to a variety of distance and fitness levels it could work.

One year on Tour de Nebraska some people brought electric-assist bikes....which TdN is 45-70miles per day normally. I think I saw them at the top of Day 1 and never again.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

One year on Tour de Nebraska some people brought electric-assist bikes....which TdN is 45-70miles per day normally. I think I saw them at the top of Day 1 and never again.
probably depends on how the rides are organized as to whether it works.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The "Bicycle Adventures" company, who are local to me, offer a variety of rides, including 'Epic' cycling adventures for the more hardcore, all the way down the the 'mosy from town to town' offerings, with hikes and tourist stops along the way.

Of course they are interested in expanding their audience. That's the real attraction to e-bikes as an industry. They are just like any other company in any industry. Interested in whatever helps them make money.

I've been pondering their Utah Zion Parks ride this summer. I'm just having difficulty getting the dates to line up.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
To me this makes the vacation no longer about biking but seeing things
Sounds like a good idea to me.
I've never seen the sense in paying thousands of dollars to someone to take me cycling when I pretty much know how to do that myself and don't need help with it. But I might pay to see things if the logistics were to much for me to deal with.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me.
I've never seen the sense in paying thousands of dollars to someone to take me cycling when I pretty much know how to do that myself and don't need help with it. But I might pay to see things if the logistics were to much for me to deal with.
You should go on a bike tour like Ride the Rockies, Pedal PA, Bike Virginia, Cycle Across Maryland, etc. It's not "thousands of dollars" for the tour. They're usually quite affordable, have nice routes mapped out and haul your stuff from one place to another while you ride. I used to do bike vacations every year until kids. Now I just fondly remember them. The best was when my wife and I did the Cinghiale tour in Tuscany. It was costly, but very worth it.

As far as ebikes go, I guess I'm not surprised. I was in the LBS this weekend and they have 25-30 of them on the floor. Once battery technology gets better, they'll be capable of longer ranges.

Just got an ad "Shock Bikes -- ELECTRIC BIKES Rediscover the Pleasure of Cycling". Only better because you don't have to pedal.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts

Got bored... went home. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts