Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have cycled with a one-year-old? He won't be pedalling - he'll be in a seat on the back, but as I've never done it before I wondered if anyone had any advice.

I really wanted a trailer to be able to pull him along, but I've not been able to find many here, and the only one I did find was very expensive, so I think I'm going to buy one of the child seats that fit on the back of an adult bike.

When we go, there'll be three of us (mum, dad, and the little one). How about a helmet for him? Do they come that small? (I'll have to measure his head, but he'll turn one this month and is large for his age)

thanks

foz

·
Registered
599 Posts
I started riding with my son at 14 months. He has a 95th+ percentile head, and the smallest Giro helmet just fit him. The main thing with kids this small is that they can easily support/control their head and have sufficient neck strength.

I don't have any experience with child seats. I got a floor model trailer from Performance that was very reasonably priced and works great. Personally, if I end up falling off the bike for some reason, I'd rather my kid be strapped inside a trailer than up high on a seat, but that's just my preference. Plus the trailer has the added benefit of being able to haul stuff with you to the park, etc.

·
Registered
896 Posts
IMHO, that is too young for a bike seat. at that age I used a trailer. especially with a helmet(a law in most states), the little one will have trouble keeping their head upright, not to mention the rolling along and cozy interior quite often puts them right to sleep. I used one of those soft neck collars to help support their heads. that said, they usually ended up flopped over at some horrible looking angle that would have us(adults) at the chiropractor in no time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Trailer

I never used one of the seats, but hauled both my kids around in a trailer from about one year until they were too big or able to ride on their own. The seat probably is fine at that age, but I'd really recomend shopping around for a trailer if possible. I think they're more comfprtable and fun for the kids -- they can have some toys, books etc. in there, and like the other post said, they often end up falling asleep.

I know some of them can be pricy, but if you shop around you can find some deals. When I bought ours I looked for a used one with no luck, but found a new one at a decent price. It was a generic brand that Nashbar and some other retailers were putting their own names on. The quality was good. The main difference between it and some of the nicer ones was that the frame was steel rather than aluminum, so it was heavier, but I didn't mind. When the kids outgrew it I sold it at a yard sale for something like $35. It had a little wear and tear, but was in good shape overall.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! As I said i would prefer a trailer, but haven't managed to find one here. I'll keep looking. My little one won't have any trouble holding his head up. He'll be a year old this month, but is plenty strong enough (as i write, he's pulling furniture around the room!) The main thing that worries me about a seat is getting him in and out. There'll be two of us with him, so I don't think it'll be that hard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I started hauling my son when he is 10 months old. Like all the suggestions above be sure he has enough neck strength to keep his head up and not bobbing from the movement. I also have the neck support pad which helps keep his head still (until he outgrew it now).

I have to confess that I'm not forcing him to wear a helmet, I got one for him and it fits but he gets really fussy putting it on. I still bring it on every ride in hopes that he gets comfortable enough playing with it so he would want to wear it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think Cervelo offers the R3 SL frame in 24cm frame. I would consider 200c rims
in place of the 700c and perhaps use a shorter stem. Do training wheels work
with QR skewers?

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i know target and walmart have trailers around $100. maybe $160. not the greatest trailers, but they are servicable. i can tell you that the chariot is worth every penny. it is expensive, but probably the best thing i have ever purchased. seond to that would be burley. then trek.

i would not take a kid in a seat. i saw some guy drop his bike with a kid in the seat. he had th ekickstand down and was just standing there next to it. over it tumbled. the kid had a helmet on and was ok. but in contrast, i had my front wheel get tangled in some broken pavement and fell overl, gashing my knee and road rashing my elbow. still have a scar from that. my kid was slept through the entire thing.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
weltyed said:
i know target and walmart have trailers around $100. maybe $160. not the greatest trailers, but they are servicable. i can tell you that the chariot is worth every penny. it is expensive, but probably the best thing i have ever purchased. seond to that would be burley. then trek.

i would not take a kid in a seat. i saw some guy drop his bike with a kid in the seat. he had th ekickstand down and was just standing there next to it. over it tumbled. the kid had a helmet on and was ok. but in contrast, i had my front wheel get tangled in some broken pavement and fell overl, gashing my knee and road rashing my elbow. still have a scar from that. my kid was slept through the entire thing.
yup...I've even flipped my Burley before with the kid in it and the 4 point harness held him tight and the rollcage protected his head.

·
Registered
329 Posts
foz said:
Thanks everyone! As I said i would prefer a trailer, but haven't managed to find one here. I'll keep looking. My little one won't have any trouble holding his head up. He'll be a year old this month, but is plenty strong enough (as i write, he's pulling furniture around the room!) The main thing that worries me about a seat is getting him in and out. There'll be two of us with him, so I don't think it'll be that hard.
You might consider running this idea by your child's doctor. I have not studied physiology or human development as rigorously as some people posting on this board perhaps, but for my kids...I think I will value the word of the physician who regularly sees them over RBR.

You might also consider strapping a watermelon into this bike seat then dump the bike in any of the manners that bikes fall down all the time. I think that should answer the helmet question...and perhaps make you want to look a bit harder for that trailer you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.