Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's sad to hear that you can't even bike through a park during the day and feel safe. I know that if that was a threat in my area, I would definitely make use of my conceal and carry permit, and carry protection!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Get a little .25 and load it with Glaser Safety-Slugs. A Glaser in .25 cal. has the stopping-power of a .44 Magnum. One shot - one kill.

Saves enough room and weight for a wallet full of lawyer's cards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the 30 ounces my XD .45 is not the concern it's just a comfort issue and kind of depressing to think it's come to that.

I live in the neighborhood, just a few blocks away. It's really not a suprise considering the amount of murders we've had recently.

Maybe I can get some Ti rounds!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have ridden through there for years you will rarely see anyone when doing it so I have felt safe. But I knew a friend who was mugged there 12 years ago. It was never reported, so there is probably a much worse problem then we think.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Yeah, and it's not the first time in that spot in the past year or so. It's also on a very common route where there are not any real alternatives.

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
Puchnuts said:
Get a little .25 and load it with Glaser Safety-Slugs. A Glaser in .25 cal. has the stopping-power of a .44 Magnum. One shot - one kill.
utter nonsense.

years ago a friend and i did some ballistics experiments w/ glasers, most of the time they failed to open up. even when they did open up the performance was exceedingly unimpressive.

.38 airweight snub is the smallest worthwhile contender.

·
What? Me worry?
811 Posts
Most people don't realize that bike paths in urban areas are relatively high crime areas. I avoid our local MUT for that reason (among many other reasons).

A few years ago I was out for a Sunday afternoon ride with my wife and we elected to take a shortcut along a section of our local bike path. Within minutes we came upon a group of people standing around a woman who had obviously had a serious crash and a man with a long bloody gash in his forehead. It turns out that this couple had been mugged, the woman thrown off her bike and the man pistol-whipped. The part of the path where this happened was wooded, but in a neighborhood of million dollar plus homes. The assailants had parked in a remote spot on a nearby road, walked to the path and attacked the first likely victims. They made their escape through the woods.

As a result of this experience I did a little research and discovered that there had been no fewer than 12 attacks on that 20 mile section of bike path in the previous 6 months. My conclusion is that bike paths are just a bad idea what with uneven surfaces, debris, joggers, roller bladers, dog on and off leash, strollers, children weaving back and forth, novice riders and a higher than average risk of violent crime. Bike lanes and wide shoulders along public roads are a much better solution.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
ciclisto said:
what is the weight weenie rating of a 45 auto vs a glock?
Duh! Glock makes several models in .45 ACP (.45 Auto as they call it). Their smallest currently is the Glock 30SF (just try to find one :wink) at an estimated loaded weight (depending on load carried) of 955 gr. or 33.6 oz. With this, you are carrying 10 rounds of .45 ACP jive stopping action.

Of course, if you were in bear country, I'd go with the Glock 29 in 10mm. But that's a full 58 grams (1.78 oz) more in mass. :p

For reference, the Glock 26 (in 9x19 mm) weighs in at at about 796 gr, or about 28 oz.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
A couple of years ago I got passed by three bikes hauling a$$ the other direction on the river trail. They were rounding a blind curve. As the lead man made the curve he tossed a purse in the bushes. I retrieved the purse and rode a little while the direction they came from. Sure enough there was a woman on someone elses phone reporting to the police her purse was snatched by a passing cyclist. I gave her the purse and rode the direction of the purse snatcher (s) at my normal pace. About two miles down the river I came across a bloody and beat down kid that used to be on a bike and another keeping a eye on him. Turns out two of the three that passed me were in pursuit and cought the out of shape thief. I just played innocent bystander at that point as the situation was under control and she got her purse back.

Justice is sometimes served. Beware though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
On the path going through my town(Springfield,Ohio),a fella I ride with ran into a trip wire that was set across the path . He ended up with some broken ribs .
On the same path ,I have seen many a drug deal ,had flats from syringe needles,two muggings , and have on two separate occasions had local thugs try and wreck me .On other parts of the path in more rural areas,dogs have tried to attack me several times. All this and it isn't even the part of our path in the worst part of town .
I really have actually been considering carrying lately . I could easily fit one in my seat bag .I just have come to the conclusion that when riding alone , I would feel so much more at ease with some protection .

·
Registered
727 Posts
The thing is that if you are going to have a gun it needs to be ready to use which means not having it hidden in a seat bag, how do people do that? Wear a holster?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts