Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've read a lot of posts on this forum but never signed up to post anything until now. This morning I noticed a facebook post by a friend that described her feelings towards a local riding event. In it she wrote "I really wish I could find the local spandex supporter sites and post this sh*t to them." So being the good friend and cyclist that I am, I decided to go a step further and post it to broader audience of "spandex supporters". While I know taking up a lot of road space is rude, I do not enjoy hearing her and her friends rants of clipping riders with their mirrors or yelling at riders from your front porch and being surprised/offended that they yell back.

PS Don't post crap on the internet you don't want the world to see.
EDIT: Reinserting image:
View attachment 281027

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just write it off to stupidity. There are so many a-holes in the world today and cyclist haters are some of them. We all deal with them, unfortunately if a fact of life for us wanting to exercise our legal right to use road ways for cycling.

You'd be surprised at how many are ignorant as to local laws. I've had so many people tell me to use a sidewalk or even tell me a cyclist has no legal business on a public road...it's insanity.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hello all,

I've read a lot of posts on this forum but never signed up to post anything until now. This morning I noticed a facebook post by a friend that described her feelings towards a local riding event. In it she wrote "I really wish I could find the local spandex supporter sites and post this sh*t to them." So being the good friend and cyclist that I am, I decided to go a step further and post it to broader audience of "spandex supporters". While I know taking up a lot of road space is rude, I do not enjoy hearing her and her friends rants of clipping riders with their mirrors or yelling at riders from your front porch and being surprised/offended that they yell back.

All this and I still don't have her contact information? What a cliffhanger.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It comes down to two things.

1. People change when they get behind the wheel. They honk horns, yell and do things they would never dream of doing while standing in a line.

2. People are always running late, to work, practice, even church. They will do anything to keep the boss from yelling at them, or their people from knowing they were late.

As long as those two golden rules are true (forever) then we will continue to meet scorn on the road which was designed for huge SUV's that are completely empty save for that one driver who is late.

God Bless the Cyclists.... they will inherit the Earth when the fuel is gone.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I just got a Contour ROAM2 that I mounted on my handlebars, and as fate would have it I had a negative motorist encounter yesterday after work. I was cruising down this road as a woman in a beige sedan was waiting to pull out of a deli parking lot. She saw me coming and recognized that I was going a fairly quick speed, and yet she still pulled out in front of me anyway, and adding insult to injury she didn't even lay on the gas, so I had to swerve and slam my brakes. I rather uncordially shouted, "Move your ass!". This butthole felt she had to lecture me out her window on the merits of courtesy, and I reminded her that she broke the law and that I got it on camera. She immediately shut up and became a lead foot.

Everyone has a brass set of nuts until they're caught on camera doing something wrong.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I just got a Contour ROAM2 that I mounted on my handlebars, and as fate would have it I had a negative motorist encounter yesterday after work. I was cruising down this road as a woman in a beige sedan was waiting to pull out of a deli parking lot. She saw me coming and recognized that I was going a fairly quick speed, and yet she still pulled out in front of me anyway, and adding insult to injury she didn't even lay on the gas, so I had to swerve and slam my brakes. I rather uncordially shouted, "Move your ass!". This butthole felt she had to lecture me out her window on the merits of courtesy, and I reminded her that she broke the law and that I got it on camera. She immediately shut up and became a lead foot.

Everyone has a brass set of nuts until they're caught on camera doing something wrong.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SauronHimself again.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Hatred and bigotry, yes, but there's more to it, a strange change in behaivour when behind the wheel. It's been studied, obviously, but I don't think the conclusions are truly clear. It's complex, I suppose.
Doesn't help us out on the road though. I hate to say it, but road cycling seems more and more like an extreme sport. :(
Too bad they don't see us as helping save gas for them.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
It comes down to two things.

1. People change when they get behind the wheel. They honk horns, yell and do things they would never dream of doing while standing in a line.

2. People are always running late, to work, practice, even church. They will do anything to keep the boss from yelling at them, or their people from knowing they were late.

As long as those two golden rules are true (forever) then we will continue to meet scorn on the road which was designed for huge SUV's that are completely empty save for that one driver who is late.

God Bless the Cyclists.... they will inherit the Earth when the fuel is gone.
Agreed with #1 and #2. #2 is typically because people don't know how to effectively manage their time.

I think America has a bit of a tri-fu**ta going on.
1. We lack problem solving skills. If there is a cyclist you go around and get on with your day, right? The average non-cyclist can't process this.
2. Sense of entitlement. How dare we be on THEIR road and in their way.
3. Lazy. They can't identify with us because they don't get their ass off the couch. They can't relate to us. Even though our legs are on fire, cycling and going fast is fun.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
There is always an idiot in every scenario. Just a standard normal distribution. And of course we tend to recall an incident like that over the many cars that pass us with a respectable space. Don't get too worked up over it. Deep breaths ... deep breaths ...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hello all,

Solid first post. I think you'll be doing great things here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
people generally wont say negative things to me . unless they can get away really quick, or not be seen. im not your typical spandex wearing biker. (yes i wear them. :)) meaning im 6'3" 230lb. built . usually i get the , " i didnt know weight lifters rode bikes". when people see me that i know etc.

still doesnt mean someone wont try to run me down with a car, hit me with a mirror etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got yelled at two times while out on the road this past week. First time appeared to be a couple of guys in a truck going in the opposite direction. The second one happened today and actually made me kind of sad. Truck was 2nd car to pass me and they yelled something at me as they went by, couldn't quite make out what they said, but sure wasn't very pleasant. The sad thing was there was a child in the back of the extended cab truck just sort of staring at me with his mouth open. Nice parenting there, hopefully the kid turns out better than his parent.

I don't let it bother me though, of the probably 100s of people who passed me this week only two people felt compelled to yell at me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello all,

Am I the only one here who isn't seeing the "friend's" post at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think I may have imported the image incorrectly. It showed up when I first posted it, now it appears to be broken. I tried editing the original post. Let me know if you still have trouble seeing it.

It's just amazing how people seem to think they are invincible in their cars and can say/do whatever they want. Although it's funny to watch them avoid eye contact when you catch them at a stop sign or traffic light.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well, if the cyclists were riding 3 or 4 wide then they are in the wrong.

However, I've recently had to do the same with a girl who I went to school with. She felt compelled to yell at a guy who was riding in a PARK that cars owned the road and that because he didnt pay taxes he couldnt ride. Had to do a little education there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agreed. Some group cyclist will not share roads either. I have seen other cyclist who will not give way to cars and they just hang on the long stretch of road which they clearly have time and room to move to a single pile. Then, if you give a courtesy honk, they will give you their finger salute.

Well, if the cyclists were riding 3 or 4 wide then they are in the wrong.

That "Holly Fetty Catalfamo".. she seem used to work around Chatworth, NJ.. so probably she lives within the vicinity. I have to pay attention from her or this woman's friend before he tries to kill someone using his deadly weapon on hand.. his car.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
1) Avoid traffic as much as possible on rides.
2) Always keep to the side of the road and out of traffic's way as much as possible.
3) Never be confrontational or respond to any verbal or otherwise stimuli.
4) Apologize and state you will get out of their way as soon as possible.
5) Maintain mental composure and stay in training mode at all times
If you become irritated, you lose. End of story.
I don't care who's right or wrong, it's a no win situation for you as a rider. Period.

Reactions: 1948D18

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If 4 cyclists ride 4 abreast... well, yeah - I agree with her (not the run'em over, hit'em with the mirror part of course).

This whole "We have the same rights as cars" works both ways. If you were driving in your car in a 45 zone and came up behind a car cruising along at 18 mph, would it bother you? And, we're worse. We can single up. We can let them by. Soooo many roadies wave their rights to the road without thinking of how much they're acting like [email protected] You want the motorists to respect you? Respect them too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.