Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Haven't released...

brewdude said:
Does anyone have more details on this sad incident?Newspaper article
They haven't let out any details as of yet. The guy was from Carrboro said the article I saw, but we'll let everyone know what I find out. I wonder if it is anyone that I know since we have a rather large cycling community in and around Chapel Hill, but we pretty much know each other. I hope not.

·
Registered
838 Posts
that description of the people in the bus seeing the bicycle at the last second before impact is exactly how it was when we hit a cyclist (riding in the dark without lights) years ago. I'm here to tell you your headlights may not light them up in time.

I swear, if I'm ever caught out after dark for whatever reason, I'm hiding my bike in the woods and hitchhiking home. It's got to be safer than riding in the dark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems they've released the cyclist's name. I don't recognize it but my thoughts go out to his family nonetheless.
http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/392486.html

The site of the accident is pretty treacherous. Hwy 54 is a busy, four-lane divided highway with no lights or shoulders to speak of. I'd say traffic normally moves at around 55-60mph along that stretch since it's about a mile in either direction to the nearest patch of civilization.

Been a dangerous week on the roads here in CH. Two pedestrians and one cyclist killed in the last three days.

Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
gronk said:
Seems they've released the cyclist's name. I don't recognize it but my thoughts go out to his family nonetheless.
http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/392486.html

The site of the accident is pretty treacherous. Hwy 54 is a busy, four-lane divided highway with no lights or shoulders to speak of. I'd say traffic normally moves at around 55-60mph along that stretch since it's about a mile in either direction to the nearest patch of civilization.

Been a dangerous week on the roads here in CH. Two pedestrians and one cyclist killed in the last three days.

Stay safe out there.

I lived off Barbee Chapel Road and had to take 54 into the university every day. I never witnessed any enforcement of the speed limit in 7 years and people just flew by me. I had to ride in the middle of the lane to protect my space. Scares me to think about now.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Man, really hate to hear about this. I lived in Charlotte for a number of years and raced and rode in Chapel Hill, Cary, Greensboro, everywhere.... It's non-stop, wall-to-wall cars in Metrolina... Probably no different than anywhere else, but it just seems us fine folks here in the South have the hardest time driving and dealing with roadies.

Really bummed to hear about this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts