1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
nail him to a stump by his balls and push him over backwards

·
What the what???
12,715 Posts
If you think the story is disturbing, read some of the comments readers posted there in response.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Opus51569 said:
If you think the story is disturbing, read some of the comments readers posted there in response.
Agreed.
Reading some of those comments made my blood boil. Given the attitude and sense of entitlement exhibited by some of those who left comments, it's not hard to believe that someone who is just a little more unbalanced, or high, or angrier than the rest could snap, even if only momentarily, and run down a cyclist.

I hope they treat this with the same intensity they would if a motorist had decided to run down a couple pedestrians...

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
sculpin said:
Agreed.
Reading some of those comments made my blood boil. Given the attitude and sense of entitlement exhibited by some of those who left comments, it's not hard to believe that someone who is just a little more unbalanced, or high, or angrier than the rest could snap, even if only momentarily, and run down a cyclist.

I hope they treat this with the same intensity they would if a motorist had decided to run down a couple pedestrians...

Reading the comment section on ANY news story is a bad idea. There is a reason several newspapers have shut down comments. Mainly because people are morons. Also, they tend to attract the worse trolls.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Wow, if this is happening in Portland, which is ranked as being highly bike-friendly, that is not good news for any of us cyclists.

As for the user comments on cycling articles - they are always, always full of insane comments from angry drivers. I don't read them any longer. I think having user comments on everything on the internet is a really bad thing for the state of humanity. It is democratic, but more often than not it turns into a fight between someone being purposely reckless and those trying to voice some reason. The anonymity of the internet can be quite dangerous and provides people the freedom to incite nasty arguments. Reality t.v., user comments, twatter, social networking sites...these are all steps backward and are going to have major implications for all of us, and they are not going to be positive. I'm not even 30 and I absolutely cannot believe how much things have changed since I was 15. Cell phones and the internet are going to be our collective downfall. (Both have positive uses, but their pervasiveness is already alarming and will only grow exponentially worse.)

Hope the cyclists recover, both physically and psychologically. I hope since it is in Portland this wacko is punished, but they rarely are. The CA case last year being one glimmer of hope.

EDIT: Right on Coolhand! I'm all for a movement to shut down user comments on most sites. Forums, okay, that is what they are for, but most other sites, as you point out, just attract the complete morons.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
No, what would be fitting is to hook him by the sack and tie him to the bumper of his car with a brick on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
the story itself is discusting but the comments are what are really getting to me. what is wrong with some people

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
No matter how egregious the behavior of a motorist is in these stories, there are still people who claim that it must be the cyclists fault.

I swear if someone were following cyclist home and attacking them with a chainsaw people would still log on and say it's justified because cyclists don't stop at stoplights and ride two abreast.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i hope this event blows up and the local governments take this into their own hands to protect cyclists. we should start eliminating car lanes and make bike lanes out of them. or if theres already only 1 lane to drive on, eliminate parking on 1 side to make it a bike lane.

i'm a driver and i drive as much as any other non-cyclist, but in NYC, cars come within 1 inch of my elbow when passing.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
terkonekto said:
What the f**k is going on lately. I feel like a moving target when I ride now.
I don't think anything in particular is goind on lately. You're just hearing about it more. You're always a moving target, just like all the pedestrians and motorists are. Ride defensively and sensibly, and don't get worked up about it.

Traffic accidents are a fact of life, and so are assaults. The latter are far rarer than the former. We read this forum and get worked up about every incident involving a cyclist, but statistically it's not getting worse.

Roughly 100 people get killed in traffic accidents every day in the United States. I looked up the stats a while back, and while I don't remember the exact numbers, the great majority of those killed are driving or riding in vehicles. Something like 10 of the 100 are pedestrians, and 1 or 2 are cyclists.

You gotta be careful, of course, but it's not that bad out there.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Andy69 said:
nail him to a stump by his balls and push him over backwards
Almost right:

Nail to tree stump by unit
Douse stump in Gasoline
Light stump
Hand person dull rusty knife

·
Registered
29 Posts
We need to make some noise and get some cyclists against dumb driver laws. This guy should get a long prison sentence, including some prison roomate love.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
robm90 said:
We need to make some noise and get some cyclists against dumb driver laws. This guy should get a long prison sentence, including some prison roomate love.
best thing to do is turn driving lanes into cycling lanes. we will get more space, they will either drive less or turn into cyclists.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Living in the Portland, OR area....I'm keeping an eye out for the individual and hope they catch him quickly. However, given the history of not punishing drivers who hit cyclists in this area, I'm not holding my breath for any serious punishment of the driver.

With that said...I have seen much more aggressive drivers this summer than at any point in time over the last 5 years or so. On group rides it's not unsual to have drivers laying on their horns when they are driving in the "OPPOSITE" direction our group is traveling. They flat just don't want any cyclists on the road.

We have also have drivers clipping members in our group rides with mirrors and becoming just flat more aggressive toward cyclists.

Just remember...even if a city is labled cycling friendly, doesn't mean there are not idiots out there. I would say that the efforts to make Portland more cycling friendly has actually contributed to the increase in aggression towards cyclists. Motorists are feeling like thier rights are being taken away and given to cyclists and they are starting to fight back...which isn't a good thing :(

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
Just remember...even if a city is labled cycling friendly, doesn't mean there are not idiots out there. I would say that the efforts to make Portland more cycling friendly has actually contributed to the increase in aggression towards cyclists. Motorists are feeling like thier rights are being taken away and given to cyclists and they are starting to fight back...which isn't a good thing :(
Yeah, that's what is frustrating. There is a popular media perception in Portland that all cyclists are dirty hippies (or fixie kid, or whatever) that don't own cars, which is simply not true. A study done recently showed that about 95% of metro area cyclists are also car owners.

This means that nearly every cyclist you see while out driving is one less car that will help cause a traffic jam on the freeway, one less car to take your parking space downtown, etc.

I really don't understand it... in Portland, almost every cyclist really is "one less car" on the road, which is a good thing when you can't physically build out car infrastructure fast enough to satisfy rising demand (cost and ultimate toll on society non-withstanding).

Literally thousands of people bike to work downtown each day, even during the winter. I'd love to see what would happen if they all chose a day and drove in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
mcsqueak said:
Literally thousands of people bike to work downtown each day, even during the winter. I'd love to see what would happen if they all chose a day and drove in. :thumbsup:
That is somewhat of a novel idea. Like Critical mass in reverse. Especially in a large city, it would make a difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts