·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
66 Posts
guns are bad, mmmkay.

The proper order of events probably wasn't accurate in the MSN story. It probably went something like this.....

1. Pickup driver angry over lot in life, sees biker on narrow 2 lane road.

2. Pickup driver decides to teach biker a lesson for slowing him down 300 milliseconds, drives as close to biker as possible.

3. Pickup driver yells "git off da road, %&[email protected]#".

4. Biker feels threatend by PU driver's obnoxious behavior, and delivers the middle finger salute.

5. PU driver takes offense to outcome of situation he provoked, and drives directly at biker.

6. Biker, having had enough of red neck boorish behavior, defends self from attemped "vehicular manslaughter" by shooting PU driver.

Of course I may be wrong.....bu I doubt it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anybody local to this gets more detail, let us know. I'd kick in $50 if somebody sets up a defense fund for the guy.

There've been a few times I've thought a pistol holster wouldn't hang that badly right below the top tube where the race numbers go in a triathlon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
why I would never ride with a gun...

Might come in handy to save my life sometime, but there have been a number of non-life threatening situtations where it might be toooooo tempting.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Just had a guy here in Washington State this weekend try to run a bicycle cop over in his truck. The cop pulled out his gun and killed him.

Apparently the guy was involved in an accident and being uncooperative with the cops. One thing led to another and he decided to put his truck in reverse and run the cop over.... That was the last time he tried that.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Gunfight at I'm not ok Corral

Creaky Carnivore said:
The proper order of events probably wasn't accurate in the MSN story. It probably went something like this.....

1. Pickup driver angry over lot in life, sees biker on narrow 2 lane road.

2. Pickup driver decides to teach biker a lesson for slowing him down 300 milliseconds, drives as close to biker as possible.

3. Pickup driver yells "git off da road, %&[email protected]#".

4. Biker feels threatend by PU driver's obnoxious behavior, and delivers the middle finger salute.

5. PU driver takes offense to outcome of situation he provoked, and drives directly at biker.

6. Biker, having had enough of red neck boorish behavior, defends self from attemped "vehicular manslaughter" by shooting PU driver.

Of course I may be wrong.....bu I doubt it.

Sounds like you got it pegged. The trucker started the confrontation, and escalated it with threatening the cyclist with a deadly weapon, his truck. The cyclist then shot him. But I don't think that's how it will play in court. There it will be like the truck driver drove at the cyclist to pat him on the back and say how much he admired his cycling prowess and massive quads. Now, where are my meds.....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Couple of points:

While I suspect your order of events is probably correct, I have a couple of observations:

1. This looks to me like a good example of what happens when two individuals both experience road rage at the same time. Do you think that the bicyclist's lifestyle has been improved by his decision to give the one finger salute?
2. What a lousy shot! So much for the protective value of a pistol.
3. Do you suppose they will allow him to ride his bike in prison?

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
316 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
While I suspect your order of events is probably correct, I have a couple of observations:

1. This looks to me like a good example of what happens when two individuals both experience road rage at the same time. Do you think that the bicyclist's lifestyle has been improved by his decision to give the one finger salute?
2. What a lousy shot! So much for the protective value of a pistol.
3. Do you suppose they will allow him to ride his bike in prison?
After living in Monroeville for two years I can shed some light. First off it is urban and not biker friendly. Second, it is urban and not biker friendly. With that being said as a cyclist I would have never really ridden through Monroeville. When I did ride the only other riders I usually saw were racers, who like myself were often ridiculed for our love of spandex. I am guessing that the said "cyclist" was a less than savory man on a hoop-tee. However I could be wrong and will contact my former roomate for further info.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Shooting

rocklax said:
After living in Monroeville for two years I can shed some light. First off it is urban and not biker friendly. Second, it is urban and not biker friendly. With that being said as a cyclist I would have never really ridden through Monroeville. When I did ride the only other riders I usually saw were racers, who like myself were often ridiculed for our love of spandex. I am guessing that the said "cyclist" was a less than savory man on a hoop-tee. However I could be wrong and will contact my former roomate for further info.

I saw the file footage on this evenings news, appears the bike was a MTB, and it was mangled in the crash. So far it appears that the news accounts have it right. You're right, Monroeville is nothing more than one big strip mall.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Is PA a concealed carry state?

And did Urick have a permit?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure...

...what the shooter had, but this is what I'd want. Scandium alloy frame, barrel shroud and yoke, titanium cylinder, stainless steel barrel liner. 12 oz. Fits in a jersey pocket.

·
Registered
193 Posts
gf99 said:
...what the shooter had, but this is what I'd want. Scandium alloy frame, barrel shroud and yoke, titanium cylinder, stainless steel barrel liner. 12 oz. Fits in a jersey pocket.

That's 12oz unloaded.............

Sounds like both parties overreacted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gun lovin' cyclists

gf99 said:
I seem to remember a thread on the "old" forums about cyclists packing heat to deal with meat-heads in pick-ups.

Being in the UK I've no experience of guns whatsoever, but speaking personally I wouldn't buy that gun - it's got a flower engraved on it for God's sake - is that meant to be intimidating?!

Maybe the cyclist would have been better off carrying one of those "Tazer" guns, he could have stunned the *******, and then tested the durability of his MTB shoes by booting him in the bollocks several times while the pick-up driver was out cold on the tarmac :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Saddle_Sore said:
Being in the UK I've no experience of guns whatsoever, but speaking personally I wouldn't buy that gun - it's got a flower engraved on it for God's sake - is that meant to be intimidating?!
LMAO! That would be funny if it were a flower! Pretty intimidating. However that flower is the atomic structure of scandium.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Flower power

Tower said:
LMAO! That would be funny if it were a flower! Pretty intimidating. However that flower is the atomic structure of scandium.
My bad :-|

All this kind of stuff has convinced me that if I were to bring my bike over to the States for some cycling, I'd need to hire a pick-up full o' red-necks to tail me and prevent the other red necks from taking lumps out of me. The thought of their beer-bill is enough to scotch this one...

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Ahhh - I can feel the gene pool improving all ready

One less idiot contaminating the gene pool and creating new idiots.

I disagree with with a vigilante average joe biker pulling out a gun an shooting some idiot in a pickup truck, but when a cop does it in the line of duty, now that's real justice. Good reason for more bicycle cops. Now if we could more bicycle cops out on the road, maybe we could cull the herd even more.

Let's lobby our local goverments to set up ******* sting operations. Dress the bicycle cops up in spandex and a pink ONCE uniform and have them ride the roads. If a Yahoo bottle gets tossed, BLAM shoot them between the eyes. A close drive by, BANG shoot the tire out, drag them out of the truck and cuff em Dano. An illegal right turn right in front of the bike, sprint em down, and poke a Dirty Harry 45 through the window and say Make My Day Punk.

Not only would we have Bicycle rights we would have Bicycle Justice.

In the mean time, I'm going to watch my temper and simply give the idiots a friendly wave. Escallating things can only result in bad things happening. Who is going to win, 3000+ pounds of steel or 3 lbs of light weight double butted tubing. Even with a gun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Darwin Award Contender?

bimini said:
One less idiot contaminating the gene pool and creating new idiots.
Perhaps this ******* should be in the Darwin Awards? These are excellent, I will have to have a look through my old editions and see if I can find anything comparable.

I like the sound of dispensing some cycling-justice, but I think that the trend when handing down sentences is more for "touchy-feely" stuff rather than a brutal application of the law. It certainly is here in the UK anyway.

Still, you can always hope for an enlightened judge who forces the ******** to go cycling over 100 miles of cobbles on some horrendous bone-shaker bike with a blade-like saddle that'll push their ass so far up their back that they'll only need to unbutton their shirts in order to wipe it.

As for "Dirty Harry" - well he would be if he was an MTB enthusiast ;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.