Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I have to vent…

While on my morning ride, on a two-lane road that is fairly well traveled, I see another cyclist coming the opposite way. Now this road we are on has no real shoulder to speak of and this poseur-looking dude is talking on his cell phone while a semi-truck is right next to him! What call could be so important that he would risk some serious hurt if the semi clipped him or he lost control? If you need to answer/make a call find a safe area to stop and do your business. I thought to myself…maybe it’s the Grim reaper on the phone telling him that his time is up. I guess I’m a little miffed because I’ve had some close calls with driver too busy talking on their cell phone that have nearly made me road kill. Now I see the hypocrisy of another rider doing something I loathe.

Rant over.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"
Let's see. It takes the semi less than a second to pass the other rider. Unless the other guy is drifting to the center of the road, what difference would it make if he is on a call? Maybe this guy knows what he is doing. Whenever I'm lucky to be out with some of the guys on our elite squad, one of the guys can answer, and converse, while pulling everybody along at 24 mph.
"Now I see the hypocrisy of another rider doing something I loathe."
I don't get it.....What hypocrisy?

·
Banned
653 Posts
Its just plain dangerous

MR_GRUMPY said:
Let's see. It takes the semi less than a second to pass the other rider. Unless the other guy is drifting to the center of the road, what difference would it make if he is on a call? Maybe this guy knows what he is doing. Whenever I'm lucky to be out with some of the guys on our elite squad, one of the guys can answer, and converse, while pulling everybody along at 24 mph.
I think the point is, if it takes less than one second for the semi to pass the rider,
the idiot on the bike has no time for any correction. I don't trust semi trucks either.
The drivers in the cab can be on drugs, up all night and not alert, real losers, dangerous jerks, speeding to make a critical shipment, running late, impatient, etc.

If your opinion differs from mine, to bad.

·
24,412 Posts
"I don't trust semi trucks either.
The drivers in the cab can be on drugs, up all night and not alert, real losers, dangerous jerks, speeding to make a critical shipment, running late, impatient, etc. "
Riding on the road entails some danger. If people are paranoid about it, they should stick to bike paths. Either that, or they should mount one of those huge mirrors on their bars, so that they can veer off into the ditch whenever a semi decides to pass within three feet.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
The bigger question...

The bigger question is why did this make you so mad? And why did you have to post about it here. And why am I responding?

Look, if some other joker is out there, and is talking on his cell phone and gets clipped and gets hurt and dies, fine, I'll laugh my ass off at him for being a dumb arse. You should just shake your head and move along with your day. It's also not hypocricy, because really, is this guy going to run into a car and hurt the car or the driver? Yeah, probably not.

Let it go. It doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
"Now I see the hypocrisy of another rider doing something I loathe."
I don't get it.....What hypocrisy?
It is illegal to drive with your cell phone in hand in my state. As a cyclist seeing that makes me pist as the driver is not as attentive. A cyclist talking on the cell phone can be considered a hypocrit because he is driving on the same road doing the thing that he hopes cars arn't doing. If you can't see the hypocrisy than you must not know what the word means.

Just because the cyclist can't hurt a driver doens't mean a cyclist can't hurt a pedestrian.

Real world tests show drivers on cell phones react worse than drivers who are drunk.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I understand your point is not to talk on the phone while riding, period. But in defense of the guy on the phone, I have to say that he almost certainly started his conversation some time before the semi passed him - and probably knew that calmly continuing to talk is the best thing to do under the circumstances. Last thing you want to do with a semi coming up from behind is change your posture, as fumbling with a phone or a water bottle will.

·
24,412 Posts
Not many states have laws like that, and even if they did, would they apply to cyclists? Would you rather that the cyclists wear a headphone? I think not. If you can't talk on a phone and hold a straight line, you probably can't look in a mirror without veering to the left.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
What call could be so important that he would risk some serious hurt if the semi clipped him or he lost control?
He was probably talking to the girl on the US Winter Olympic team who had to take a call as she was parading through the opening ceremonies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cell phone law probably would apply to cyclists

MR_GRUMPY said:
Not many states have laws like that, and even if they did, would they apply to cyclists? Would you rather that the cyclists wear a headphone? I think not. If you can't talk on a phone and hold a straight line, you probably can't look in a mirror without veering to the left.
In CA, a bicycle is regulated by the vehicle code so cyclists have to follow the rules of the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts