Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just too competitive????:mad2:

I know I need to to have recovery and rest rides.....but it frustrates the faaarken hell out me when passed by grandads smoking a pipe!!!!!!

Any advice on taming my demons?

And no, I am not willing to listen to Enya on my Ipod while riding (for the older crew who actually know who Enya is :)).....

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
If you're worried about riding too hard outdoors for a recovery ride try riding inside.

If you have a power meter make a game of keeping your watts in z1. Aim for less than 1 minute out of zone for an hour ride or something..

·
Registered
226 Posts
What ZoSoSwiM said. Else go run 10 miles the day before (especially helpful of you can't run 10 miles now). I promise your next 'spin' will be zone 2 after that..

:) Anyway - I struggle with that too. Only time I EVER managed that feat on the bike outside was because I rode a 50 mile ride with my sister and never got out of the little ring. Poor girl was working at 90% and I was struggling to get to 70%..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My hard days are so taxing that I am too sore the next day to ride anything.
So on alternate days I am doing my core.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
My hard days are so taxing that I am too sore the next day to ride anything.
So on alternate days I am doing my core.
Agree. I'm bought into recovery, but not necessarily recovery rides. Do something other than ride for recovery. I'm fresher, more enthused and ready to work harder on the bike if I take a day or two off it.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Actually, most competitive and competing riders on their easy day don't really have a difficult time letting same-speed-every-day recreational riders pass them. They know that hanging with or dropping the same-speed guys is meaningless or, worse, wrecks your training plan.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Actually, most competitive and competing riders on their easy day don't really have a difficult time letting same-speed-every-day recreational riders pass them. They know that hanging with or dropping the same-speed guys is meaningless or, worse, wrecks your training plan.
Exactly. Zone 2 isn't about today. Zone 2 is about being in peak form on race day. I can live with that.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
If you want an easy ride, you just need to get a girlfriend.

Wait. Maybe that didn't come out right.

Really, about any friend will do. Go out, shoot the breeze, yuk it up, whatever. It's solo rides and group rides that get tough. Tooling around with a friend is easy to make easy.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts

I know I need to to have recovery and rest rides.....but it frustrates the faaarken hell out me when passed by grandads smoking a pipe!!!!!!

Any advice on taming my demons?

And no, I am not willing to listen to Enya on my Ipod while riding (for the older crew who actually know who Enya is :)).....
you can use this instead on Enya to remember what's important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjoWL6hJg8

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
+1

Exactly. Zone 2 isn't about today. Zone 2 is about being in peak form on race day. I can live with that.
And +2. I could care less about being passed. Never understood the struggle this causes with some folks. I guess when you race a ton it just doesn't matter. What I hate is when my pace is just a touch faster than another guy ahead which leads to an uncomfortable "passing" situation. Often I'll try and turn and find an alternate route so I can just do my thing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What I hate is when my pace is just a touch faster than another guy ahead which leads to an uncomfortable "passing" situation.
Had this happen to me last week. Guy was just staying ahead of me but I kept creeping up on him little by little. Didn't want to have to pass so kept easing slightly off the gas. Finally did pass when he slowed way down. He promptly jumped on my wheel and stayed there for two miles and then sprinted past me on a short rise and looked back as if to say "Ha!". I just laughed...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I love these posts that are in the form of, "Please offer me advice on this problem I have," but whose substance is, "Look at what a bad*ss mother f*cker I am."

Really, I do find them entertaining. Please keep 'em coming. ;-) No offense intended.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm with all of you who don't do recovery rides. I cycle hard three times per week and take the rest of the days off. Though I do weight training thrice per week so I only have one day per week that's truly off.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I love these posts that are in the form of, "Please offer me advice on this problem I have," but whose substance is, "Look at what a bad*ss mother f*cker I am."

Really, I do find them entertaining. Please keep 'em coming. ;-) No offense intended.
IMHO it just comes down to not being secure with how unfit or fit one is. In no way do I mean to offend anyone but, getting worked up over being passed, especially while your just cruising, just oozes insecurity.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don't race and I refuse to "train". I just ride what I want when I want. Most of my riding is semi-structured however.

I go hard up to about 4 days a week. I try to get in 3 days mid week of 100% ride of 1hr to 1:20 depend on when I need to be home for dinner. Then on weekends I got all out for 2-3 hrs. My recovery rides don't exist as I just don't ride everyday. Mostly because something comes up and I just can't. So this week.

Sunday 1:30 min hard mtn ride. I would have done longer, but had things to do that day.
Monday, cold and raining so I took the day off.
Tuesday, decided to do a run instead of a ride 5.5 miles and 45 min.
Wednesday, Planned day off to take my daughter to swimming and good since runs do a number on my legs - However as things happen I needed to help her with school work so no swimming.
Thursday, Like to get a ride in, but today maybe swimming day instead. depends on the wife and of course valentines day. ugg... I hate going more than 2 days not doing something.
Friday, usually day off, but I will need to get a ride in, but we shall see what happens
Saturday - Day off for sure
Sunday - Big Mtn bike ride planned - 3-4hrs
Monday - Rest day.

I ride when I can and it rarely allows me to put in and form of structured training. There are too many variables that come up to have plan and really stick to it. And I don't have the time to spend 2hrs "recovering".

So maybe I won't be as fit as some. So what I am fit enough to have fun and do reasonably well in the occasional mtn bike race or short triathlon. Good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.