Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have an opinion on cyclocomputers? I am looking at the cateye hrm/cyclocomputer. Should I get the one with the cadence function? That would seem to me to be the most important thing. I know some folks cant live without their computer but I have seemed to do fine without one, I know I sound like a Fred but I could not find them listed in the review section.
Thanks

·
Registered
806 Posts
biketillyapuke said:
Anyone have an opinion on cyclocomputers? I am looking at the cateye hrm/cyclocomputer. Should I get the one with the cadence function? That would seem to me to be the most important thing. I know some folks cant live without their computer but I have seemed to do fine without one, What do you think of Cateye. I know I sound like a Fred but I could not find them listed in the review section.
Thanks
Today I went on a ride with a friend. He spent most of the ride looking his Panoram computer instead of at the snow-covered fields and snowmelt patterns, the trees and the birds. When we got back, he could tell me our average speed, but not what we'd seen. I think there's a lot to be said for riding without a computer.

·
Off the back
326 Posts
True dat!

Andy M-S said:
Today I went on a ride with a friend. He spent most of the ride looking his Panoram computer instead of at the snow-covered fields and snowmelt patterns, the trees and the birds. When we got back, he could tell me our average speed, but not what we'd seen. I think there's a lot to be said for riding without a computer.
I've got a knack: Every computer I buy breaks in the first few rides. I've quit buying them. Really, 3-4 rides and it quits working. Vetta, Cateye, specialized, they all have quit within a few rides. The only one I've gotten more than a month from was a $5 Supergo closeout house brand I bought because of the price.

Anyway, I enjoy riding so much more without one. You just forget all the analytical crap your mind is cluttered with and do the one thing cycling is so great for: A complete brain dump of all that weighs on your mind. You come back home with lungs open, heart moving, legs tired and mind refreshed.

This especially is true on a century or organized ride where you know the total distance before starting. When you do, all you think about is how far on that ratio of completed / remaining you are and you never enjoy just riding. It's so much more fun if you simply ride based on how you feel.

Free your mind; kill your television and kill your cycle computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts