Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to go down the cyclocross path, so to speak. I am interested in the collective cross wisdom, and things are so kind of slow, so I ask ...

I have a great road bike that is less than 1 year old. If I had a crystal ball a year ago, I would instead be riding a great cross bike instead. I can't really afford a nice road bike AND a nice cross bike. My realistic options now:
1. Do nothing. Ride either a trek hybrid for cross this fall (I used it for 4 races last year) or use a family redline conquest for races. This would get me the least grief. The bikes I have for cross racing are not close to ideal, but then again, I kinda suck.
2. I have about $700 available-could buy a new bikes direct ride and race it next year. I have been scanning the classifieds and ebay and haven't been able to find a bike that would fit me at this price point.
3. Use my money and buy some tubular wheels for the trek hybrid or redline congest sport (both of which were bought for kids and wife and are a little on the small size for me).
4. Buy a frame and slowly build it up-probably would take over a year and certainly not done in time for September.
5. Try and sell my nice road bike and buy a nice titanium or steel custom as my size cross, club road ride and crit bike. I put in over 5K on the road bike. If I could get 4K I would be able to get something very nice with tubular wheels. I am scared that I may only get 3K or less (its a 2008 lemond victorie with full dura ace drive train-pretty much stock).

tia for any serious responses. on heck, for any responses whatsoever

·
Registered
472 Posts
Take the components off your Lemond. Sell the frame and buy a cross frame with the proceeds and build it with the parts off the roadie. You would need new brakes, tires and maybe a cassette with better gearing.....

Jeff

·
Registered
534 Posts
if you sell your road bike for $4k, $1k buys a pretty nice cross bike on sale (like the Jamis Supernova or comparable), leaving you three for a really nice road bike. Or you can go 2 and 2--which buys a really nice one of each.

IT's all relative, I guess.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
vanjr said:
5. Try and sell my nice road bike and buy a nice titanium or steel custom as my size cross, club road ride and crit bike. I put in over 5K on the road bike. If I could get 4K I would be able to get something very nice with tubular wheels. I am scared that I may only get 3K or less (its a 2008 lemond victorie with full dura ace drive train-pretty much stock).

tia for any serious responses. on heck, for any responses whatsoever
$4K spent shewdly could buy 2 capable cross bikes w/ two tubular wheelsets and a decent road bike. Nothing to ooh and aah about, but good, solid rides. Certainly one cross bike and one CX bike with a couple wheelsets that would be nicer than anything I own.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is only one place in town that has a cross bike or two in stock and nothing in my size. To get something new in town is to buy at full msrp and have the shop order. Closest towns that may have a cross bike are 2.5-5 hours away and there is no guarantee they'd have anything that would fit (need about a 53 cm tube top). I may drive a few hours and get a performance bike on sale.

The option of selling the frame may work. Could transfer all my new parts to my wifes bike and take her older ultegra 9 speed and get a frame/fork and brakes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you put $5K into your road bike, it is highly doubtful you could recoup anything approaching $4K at the moment, unless it’s some kind of scarce, boutique frame.

The most efficient thing to do would be to strip anything that could swap over to a cx frame, but that might leave you with a weird frameset/crank/brakes configuration to sell (maybe wheels too, depending what they are.)
So my advice would be, sell it whole, hope to get $3K, and either turn that into the nicest cross bike you can buy, or save up $500 more, keep the road rig, and buy something good but not mindblowing like a Kona Jake the Snake.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. In this economy I see getting even 3K as difficult in a used bike. I think the best thing to do is keep saving (or sell some stuff) and hopefully get something in August. If I don't have the funds for a Jake the Snake or equivalent, go bikes direct. Maybe I can impose on Santa to bring me some tubular wheels this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts