Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hard to generize - but simply stated pick the right tool for the job.

If you ride single track/fire roads go more heads up, if you race modern CX races (not jungle cross) go aero.

The advantages for a sligtly undersized CX bike is (this pertains to all bikes) you can have a more heads up position on the bike. This puts your body in a positon that allows for more dynamic use of your center of gravity.

On a CX bike it's nice to have the ability to sit up comfortably especially if your like riding CX roots style. Which is racing from town to town taking short cuts through fields and valleys and running up hills.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Float said:
The advantages for a sligtly undersized CX bike is (this pertains to all bikes) you can have a more heads up position on the bike. This puts your body in a positon that allows for more dynamic use of your center of gravity.
Assuming that you place the stem on the top of the headset, and not use spacers to place the bars in the same position.

Reach should be the same, although some would say that it could be a little shorter (although a higher bar will accomplish the same). Stack should be higher than on a road bike. The last thing you want is a to small frame with a stack of spacers under the stem creating a weak spot for an off road bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For mountain bikes I never felt that a frame that *fit* me quantified to good riding off road. When I went down a frame size I instantly felt more nimble and riding just became more fun.

Is it ill fitting? Most say its to small for me but without a doubt I'm a better rider on it than its larger brother.

Now a road bike, that needs to *fit* me as all i do on it is push the cranks and sit on the saddle.

A cross bike is a bit different and I would expect to do a bit of everything on it thus my question.

PeanutButterBreath said:
Is riding off road better on an ill-fitting frame? (Wiseacre response but I'm sure you see what I am saying.)

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
It sounds like you are particular about fit. I would test ride whatever CX bikes you can and figure out what characteristics make a frame right for you.

Simply sizing down from your road bike is too blunt an insturment of measurement.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Watch out for Wacky Advice from Racers

Toff said:
When I went down a frame size I instantly felt more nimble and riding just became more fun.
I used the phase "dynamic use of your center of gravity" instead of nimble.

If you plan on riding in similar situations as you do with your MTB than use the same sizing philosophy as you do with your MTB. I would be careful about going a "full size" down as sloping TT's have changed fit forever, not necessarily for the better. You may just need a 10mm shorter stem or one with a bit more rise to it.

What CX bike/bikes are you looking at?

What kind or bar drop/rise do you run on you mtb and your road bike?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.