Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating putting together a new all weather bike. I'm presently riding a steel Marin hardtail, studded tires front and rear, with full fenders. This bike is used all seasons, and presently I'm riding on a mix of bare pavement, packed snow, and some hard and rutted ice. Some of the roads I'm on also offer stretches of "brown sugar" or "mashed potatoes" snow. Riding on these stretches, the front wheel usually goes squirrely, and I've come close to a few sudden dismounts - a definite hazard with cars following. My front tire is a Schwalbe 26X2.1 "Icebiter" - which is great on smooth and rutted ice conditions.

My question is, does anyone have experience riding a cyclocross bike with 700X35 tires on ice and snow, with or without studs?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
'Cross in Winter

I've got a Waterford Cross that I use primarily in the winter, with Nokian studded 35's. I put some brake levers on the top of the handlebars, which help also, and I use a seatpost mounted rear fender. It's been a great winter bike! Make sure your saddle doesn't have a hole in it (like a Terry)!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Do a search on the old forums...

I did a ride report last month when "cmgaugh" and I took our cross bikes out in a snow/ice storm. Search for my username and "ride report". It will come up.

I have studed 35c tires for my cross bike but I also use my MTB with home-made studded tires. IMO, the difference is significant. The wider MTB tire is much more stable. The cross tires aren't great in ruts. They tend to sink in the snow unless it is really hard-packed.

The studded cross tires are great for ice or really hard-packed snow. The surface needs to be flat. If you are dealling with ruts or uneven snow tracks, you are gonna be all over the place.

·
791 Posts
I've found that the only time that I really prefer my cross bike to a mtb in the snow is if the snow is deep and not compacted. Under these conditions the cross tires cut through the snow better and bite into the ground or pavement beneath.

If it's packed snow or slush, the cross tires seem to get squirrely in a hurry. Better to have more volume of the mtb tires to float above stuff.

I've used studded mtb tires, but never studded cross tires, so I can't compare those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts