Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a brand new Kelly Knobby X, and am now pretty confused as to which crankset to use.

Chris Kelly said that it was perfect with an Ultegra BB, and an XTR crankset.

My question - has anyone ever tried an Ultegra 10-speed crankset on the Knobby X? Reason is because I am offered a very good price on a complete set of Ultegra 10-sp.

Thanks!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
fisherman said:
I got a brand new Kelly Knobby X, and am now pretty confused as to which crankset to use.

My question - has anyone ever tried an Ultegra 10-speed crankset on the Knobby X? Reason is because I am offered a very good price on a complete set of Ultegra 10-sp.

Thanks!
I think you'll find that the chainrings are a bit large, but I don't know for sure.

I have the exact same BB/crank setup and it works great. You can get 110mm spiders for it so you can run whatever rings you choose. (I've got all the way up to a 50t!)

M

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
knobby x is designed to give tire more clearance so chainring clearance is limited, that's why you were adviced to use mdn cranks.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Done it...

fisherman said:

Thanks!
Well not quite Ultegra 10 BUT I've ran the Ritchey cross cranks and Ultegra 9 with a Knobby X. I used the 118 mm (triple) Ultegra BB to avoid hitting the chainstay and was able to get things to work just fine. When I first built the frame up I tried to use the 109.5 mm (double) Ultegra BB but was hitting the chainstay with a 48T big ring...

IMHO, I think your problem with Ultegra 10 is going to be hitting the chainstay as you have a fixed BB width.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh dear. My problem is that I would not be able to try it out before buying.

I will try with my existing BB and crankset first, which is a Shimano UN72 68x107 , and an old (very) XTR crank (1992). From what I gather, it will probably not work, but I am hoping the profile of the older XTR cranks will clear the stays. Hopefully!

Thanks! I will post my findings.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Not sure what crank

fisherman said:
Oh dear. My problem is that I would not be able to try it out before buying.

I will try with my existing BB and crankset first, which is a Shimano UN72 68x107 , and an old (very) XTR crank (1992). From what I gather, it will probably not work, but I am hoping the profile of the older XTR cranks will clear the stays. Hopefully!

Thanks! I will post my findings.
The Ultegra 10 Triple might do the trick (simply remove the inner chainring if you are not going to use it...

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Kelly just changed their frame design to accomodate a wider range of crank/bb combos. i guess it may depend if you have one of those or not.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yeah he finally went more roadie esque

which to me is a good thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts