Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a new '04 Redline Conquest frame/fork/headset that I can get for $259.00. The bike will be used primarily as a travel bike/rain bike/something to haul around my 2-year-old. When you purchase a cyclocross bike, do you want it to have the same TT length as a roadbike? I ride a roadbike that is 55c-c with a 56.5 TT with 73.5 degree HTA and STA. If I get a 56cm Redline with 72 degree HTA and 73 degree STA and a TT of 56.5, then will my reach be shorter compared to my roadbike?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cross sizing

Most here will say size down,but I prefer the same size or maybe a little longer TT.Because of the slacker seat angle and to a lesser extent the slacker head angle,the Redline will have a shorter effective reach of about 7-8mm.

If used off road I suggest a stem no longer than 12cm and prefer an 11,because of the risk of endo's.On road you can go a little longer.

Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cross sizing

I agree with dan. I bought a Conquest also. Just finished setting it up however I am waiting on a longer stem exchange. I was debating over a 58 or a 60. My road frame is 60 with a 60tt. I finally decided on the 60 because mine is going to be used more for commuting and comfort on the long road rides. When I finished setting it up I had to exchange to a longer stem since I am setting up the stem with 6 deg rise which shortened the tt in comparison than -10 or -17. This still gives me an inch drop from seat to handlebar. if you run a smaller frame you would have a bigger drop which you might not want if you are using it as a travel bike/rain bike/something to haul around my 2-year-old kinda bike. Most people told me to get a 58 or 56.

Check out the frame size in this article

http://www.cycle-smart.com/coaching/articles/crossbike1.html

Are you getting yours from green fish sports?

Good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
redline purchase

I got mine from him. The 2003 with black to yellow fade. His service was great. Frame delivered as promissed and packed well. It came with a wtb headset. If I did it again I would see if he would upgrade it to a cane creek for a nominal charge. No frame prep or headset installation. How are you going to setup yours? If you want cheap canti's look at cambria. They have avid 8's for 29 in their sale section. 3 bucks more than their avid's 4. Its marked different price all over their site however and also named as avid ti so you will have to tell them its in their sale section.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Setup

Thanks for the "thumbs up" with Greenfish. I placed the ordrer about 10 minutes ago. I upgraded the headset, but went with the WTB aluminum with the sealed bearings as he did not have the Cane Creek in black.

Setup: Avid shorty 4's, OP's laced to DA hubs, WCS stem (an older one I have laying around), TTT bars, Ultegra shift/brake levers, cassette, chain, BB, Look pedals, Vetta SL seat, and I have not decided on the cranks. I could upgrade my wife's cranks to DA and take her Ultegra's...but I am undecided. 95% of the components will be from stuff I have accumulated. I do not know if I am going to put on an American Classic seatpost or a Ritchey Comp. Any cost effective suggestions?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with...

...the 56cm Conquest as the TT matched the TT on my roadbike. I already pulled the trigger on a seatpost and went with the American Classic. I have been using their seatposts since 1992 without incident. Prior to this purchase, I have ordered from this twice. My first post lasted 9 years and then I sold the bike and the post went with it. I got one for my new roadbike 3 years ago and the one I just ordered. Sam, the guy at Greenfish, was very easy to deal with and I want to thank you again for the recommendation. I do like the yellow and black combo of your bike. Because the bikes are shipped in the same boxes/bubble wrap from Redline, did you need to do any frame prep or did everything go in smoothly?

·
Registered
120 Posts
frame prep

The BB and headset went in smoothly, so no facing or tapping. I had a lbs install the headset, everything else I put on and it went smoothly. I did however get a better cable hanger for the front that fits in with the spacers and has a barrel adjuster. I also am getting a barrel nut adjuster for a frame stop for the back to make it easier to adjust the brakes. http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR4043

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.