Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to gauge interest for a cyclocross stage race in Utah.
We have the courses, and I'm going to get to work on getting sponsorships set up for prizes, cash awards, etc.

How much interest would there be for coming to Salt Lake City for a four-stage event?

Three of the stages would be regular races, with one uphill time trial (5.2 miles uphill, maybe also 3 miles downhill).

First race is basically flat, lots of turns, in a wooded setting.etc.
Second race is the TT.
Third course is more open with a couple hills, more loose, etc.
Fourth course (Park City, is at the former olympic park, with one sizeable hill, one set of stairs to climb, etc.

There are two other proposed courses too.

Any interest?

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
FondriestFan said:
I am in the process of trying to gauge interest for a cyclocross stage race in Utah.
I think a timed stage race is a loser. Cross races often involve flats and mechanicals. I think that a points system would be a better choice. Count the number of participants and the winner gets that many points puls a bonus. I'd give finishing bonuses like 10, 5, 3 for the podium spots for each race. Highest points after all races wins. It's likely that the competitive folks will have pit bikes so a problem in one race won't be catasrophic. Even if you don't have a pit bike, you won't be completely done if you DNF in one of the events.

· Registered
82 Posts
Colorado...

There is a rich crop of crossers just east of you in Colorado. You might want to hit up the American Cycling Association and advertise in their newsletter. I, for one, would seriously consider the drive from Denver. I know there are a handful of racers on the Western slope, too...Maybe they would be interested?

· Registered
1,194 Posts
I would say skip the uphill TT and just do 1 or 2 laps on one of the cross courses. You could have the TT first and the best 10 riders get call ups for the first actual race. Points omnium is the only way to go. Keep it simple, and keep it 'cross- an uphill TT is not exactly music to most cross racers ears... I'd love to come out to something like this, provided there's some cash on the line! ; )

· Banned
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, good point, that's a consideration...uphill TT wouldn't be much of cross "race", even though the scenery there is absolutely beautiful.

We have several venues to choose from. Checked out another possible venue today as well. I'm starting to think we could really do this and be able to raise enough cash to attract riders.

· Banned
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The more I think about it, the more I think the uphill TT should stay.
the course is really sweet, with long doubletrack sections for passing. The finish is perfect, as it leads out to a gravel lot at the top of the pass. Three more trails continue from there if we need to extend the section. It's really beautiful and the starting area will be at a resort, which is amenable to racers, since they already host a road race there.

The response here has been positive so far. We definitely have the venues that's for sure.

I think the TT would probably be better first, since that would allow for call-ups at the first race.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
FondriestFan said:
I think the TT would probably be better first, since that would allow for call-ups at the first race.
Hmm... Why give the call ups to the best climbers at a cross race? If the TT were on the cross course, it would show who had the speed and skills to deserve a front row spot. An uphill TT doesn't prove much, although it will add a novel element to the event. Not to say that the fastest riders won't smoke the TT, just that if you want to make this a popular and prestigeous event it makes sense to keep it cross specific. Not only that, but as a promoter it will be easier to use fewer venues. The TT laps on the actual cross course will also provide more practice time for the competitors. I'm imagining that you're doing this as a "fun" early season event, and strict adherance to cross sensibilities isn't probably all that important, but keeping things simple goes a long way and riding cross bikes on cross courses is fun enough as it is. Just my 2 cents.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Obstacle course?

I think that speed on a cross course is demonstrated during a standard race. It's not like folks are spending so much time sucking wheels and futzing around with team tactics that they need to prove their speed in an individual event.

I do agree with keeping it cross specific though. Maybe a TT with extra obstacles, mud, sand, technical singletrack etc. could give the bike handlers a chance to edge up on the super-fit riders.

Actually, I think it would be cool to have a lung-busting TT, a super techincal TT and a standard race or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.