Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference cyclocross bikes and road bikes. I am interested in using a cyclocross bike for a road bike, slick tires and all. I'm 72inches and 225lbs. I hear the cyclocross bikes are beefier and i like that so thats why im asking.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Not much really- may be a bit under geared on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ride my Cross bike on the road. I just throw some slicks on, and I change out the big ring to a 53 during the summer (or after the last cross race, which for CO is March 22).

The brakes take a little more care than a road bike, and I find myself laying off of the front brake when I'm bombing down a mountain road (cause no one wants to find the have some chatter when they are going 50).

Plus it is rad passing a bunch of dudes with their power meters and full carbon bikes on the road when you're on your cross bike. Plus the chicks dig it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really a bike by bike issue

However, cross bikes may have more relaxed geometry and beefier components. Many road bike manufacturers offer beefier versions of their race machines. Specialized's Roubaix models come to mind.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I am set up for road right now while the weather is dry and there is nothing too different about it, except when there is a cluster**** in traffic I can dismount, shoulder and run around it without getting a cable dig into my shoulder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Generally, a cyclocross bike has a somewhat longer wheelbase to accomodate the bigger tyres. The fork length is also usually a bit longer for the same reason I guess.

I'd say that a cx is more versatile compared to a road bike. You can use it as a road bike if you put on slicks and there is the possibility to run gravel roads as well as studded tyres for winter training and commuting.

If you are in to disc brakes there are a few cx frames on the market that has disc tabs. you can't find that on a road bike yet. Well, Canyon has a concept bike but that's all. http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html

~K

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
allervite said:
Really a bike by bike issue
Right. Lots of CX bikes have, e.g., crazy-high bottom brackets that would make them less than ideal for the road.

But otherwise, nothing. Just put some slicks on and ride it. When you get tired of the low gearing, high bottom bracket, long chainstays and accordingly long wheelbase, etc., try a road bike and see if you prefer it. If I could have only one bike, it would be a CX bike with a low bottom bracket and normal crankset.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a second set of wheels/tires/11-23 cassette and I put on a 52 chainring onto my 08 fuji crosscomp for use on the road. it works pretty well but the harsh ride of the AL frame makes me want to have an all carbon roadbike.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
it works pretty well but the harsh ride of the AL frame makes me want to have an all carbon roadbike
It's probably not so much the material as it is the wheels, geometry, or the fit.

I bumped into a couple of guys from a major bike manufacturer last night as they were setting up a bike for the TaiSPO 2009 expo in Taipei.
They were saying more companies are going back to hybrid Al/Carbon frames.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dajianshan said:
It's probably not so much the material as it is the wheels, geometry, or the fit.

I bumped into a couple of guys from a major bike manufacturer last night as they were setting up a bike for the TaiSPO 2009 expo in Taipei.
They were saying more companies are going back to hybrid Al/Carbon frames.
that is probably true to some degree. I feel pretty comfortable until about 50miles into a ride when my back/neck start to feel every bump in the road. My legs/knees/arms feel great even after the ride is over usually.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
They were actually replacing carbon bikes. The cost isn't that much different between the materials. I didn't ask them about their strategy. The guy who was building up the bike was doing it as his own bike for after the show. He could have had anything, so I am curious why he went that direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my CX/Touring fit

Hey was my solution to this debate. I have about 8 hours of riding on this new set up. Custom geometry, paragon sliders, full braze ons for racks, full fenders and three water bottle cages. 135 spacing in the rear, Mavic TN719 rims, disc brakes, Ultegra/105 drivetrain. 700 X28C touring rubber on there right now, CX tires are on back order.

Thoughts.......questions?

BFE

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
That's similar to what I did. I have Ultegra gruppo except for the 105 compact crank. Discs are a no no with the purists in the CX crowd, but who cares if you're not racing or trying to impress someone. I love mine and they've paid off big time in saving my ass and my rims. One of the high-ups from DT Swiss just commented how well my rims were holding up with the discs, but he wont be making too much money off of me. I run Conti GP 4000S and don't feel like I need any more for the road. When I go out to the wilds I use 32c CX tires.

That's a nice looking bike. Tall?

·
Registered
296 Posts
bigfated:
Would the disc brakes interfere with installing racks?
What kind of dropouts are those and why did you choose them?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
gobes said:
bigfated:
Blackburn and Trek both make disc-specific racks. I've installed a few. No big deal 'cept iffen ya wanna haul a boatload o stuff. Don't quite have the capacity that the 'regular' racks do.

Look like them dropouts are SS compatible. Nicht war?

I ride my Gunnar Crosshairs like a road bike a lot. Specially since I'm in the process of trading the D/A 10s on it for a motorcycle. Put bigger rings on the front and readjust the front der and go to town. I have several sets of wheels, so having a dedicated set of cross only tubies ain't a hardship.

Go for it!

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
gobes said:
bigfated:
gobes,

Looks like MShaw already answered your questions, but I will elaborate on them a little bit.

In regards to racks: From what I can see I should not have much, if any, problems with mounting a rear rack, and should have no problems mounting a pannier rack to the front. The calipers do not get in the way of the front system at all, however, from the looks of it I might have a slight problem with the rear, but I will have to see how that works out when I have time and money to invest in a rack system for this bike.

The drop outs are made by Paragon and are horizontal sliding drops just in case I want to run this bad boy SS someday.......I have one SS, but I'm not "hard" enough to run SS on my CX yet.

By the way, this thing rides like a Cadilac. I like it!!

Dajionshan: Tall was your question........6'6" with a 38" inseam. Seat tube lenght = 66 cm; head tube = 22.5 cm. It's a big bike, but it fits me very well. And no, I am not running 24" wheels, just looks that way. :D

Cheers,
BFE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts