Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experience with cyclocross world wheelsets specificly the openpro with ultegra or dura ace hub wheel sets. The dura ace set for $360 sounds pretty good just wondering if they are a good hand buildt set, are the dura ace hubs 8-9speed or the new 10speed(I need 9speed) how much more do dura ace hubs weigh compared to hugi 240 or king hubs? Obviously the price difference is substantial. I am also concidering excel sports swiss threat wheel set 240 hubs with dt rims, but the rear wheel is $380, more then the price of the cyclocross world dura ace wheelset.
I called cyclocross world and asked about the hubs, but had to leave a message so I thought I'd ask here as well.
I would be using the wheel set mostly for road riding on my geared cross bike, since I have some cheaper wheels for trail riding or the occasional geared race, I usually race single speed cause it's fun and cost less in abused parts and labor needed throughout the season.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Mountain Goat said:
I just got an Ultegra/Open Pro wheelset from Colorado Cyclist for $272 shipped. They build excellent wheels.
That is a good price, I have heard good things about colorado buildt wheelsets.
I'll wait till my call back from cyclocross world about the hubs, if their 9speed dura ace I'd like the better hubs

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
single1x1 said:
That is a good price, I have heard good things about colorado buildt wheelsets.
I'll wait till my call back from cyclocross world about the hubs, if their 9speed dura ace I'd like the better hubs
Colorado Cyclist also has DA hubed weels for sale at pretty good prices. I think texascyclesport.com also has some pretty good prices. They built me a pretty nice set of wheels (DA hubs with OP CD rims).

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip gripped

Gripped said:
Colorado Cyclist also has DA hubed weels for sale at pretty good prices. I think texascyclesport.com also has some pretty good prices. They built me a pretty nice set of wheels (DA hubs with OP CD rims).
I called Colorado cyclist and they didn't have any 9sp dura ace hubs, just the new 10speed ones, Dough!! So I blew a wad and ordered a king/openpro with double butted spokes and alloy nipples. Tax return should be comming soon, and this should save me about a pound (Seriously) compared to my deep road V and rx 100 hubs, my guestimate is using the weight weinnie sight and came to about 420 hubs, using 105 hub weights, rx100 is even heavier. Now I just have to wait about a week or so.
WOOHOO. Peweter hubs, black rims silver spokes and nipples and my yellow curtlo with carbon fork, sweet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a pair from cyclocrossworld.com when I bought an Empella Bonfire SL from them (several years ago). The wheels were Open Pro/Ultegra. It didn't take long for me to trash the rear wheel. I had a bike shop build an ultra-sturdy rear wheel as a replacement...the front wheel from cyclocrossworld.com has been fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts