Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is what i found given up at OCB today.

A canadian frame Cyclops. M Mulholland & Sons Ltd.

Aluminium seat post is completely siezed in there and will not budge. Going to get the chisel tomorrow to get on it a bit more. ITs soaking in penetrating oil right now.

Its my size and is a very light and nice bike. they have the matching fork aswell that i will buy if i can get the freaking post out.

anyone knows anything about Cyclops people?

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Mike was a Toronto area road racer in the '70s (I raced against him), coach and all round multi-faceted cyclist from a great cycling family. When many times Canadian champion cyclist and frame builder Jocelyn Lovell got turned into a quadraplegic by a dump truck, Mike took over Jocelyn's frame business and re-named it Cyclops.

For a few years he moved out west to British Columbia's Okanagan Valley (Vernon I think) and he carried on the frame business there. At some point he moved back to Ontario and to the Niagara region where he still built frames.

His frames were always very meticulous and cleanly done but never lost sight of the fact that they were racing tools. I talked to him about one but I wanted fillet brazing which really wasn't his thing so we never connected. I'll always regret that as he made nice frames.

The announcement of Mike's death in 2005 shocked the Canadian cycling world as Mike was truly an all-round nice guy, mentor to many young cyclicts and passionate cyclist - especially around the cyclocross world. There must be much more written about him but I just can't find it. I guess his sons didn't carry on the frame building business.

http://www.pedalmag.com/index.php?module=Section&action=viewdetail&item_id=4567

http://www.pedalmag.com/index.php?module=Section&action=viewdetail&item_id=4575
http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/cyclopsT.html

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,
Thank you for this information.
I am glad i got to save this frame from the garbage , which is where the bike shop was going to store it.

I am going to my shop later on today to get the seat post out. i am determined and not coming home without positive results.

I will keep you updated with the restoration process.
I assume there are no replacement decals around. It would be nice to restore those as well.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Deniz said:
Mike,
Thank you for this information.
I am glad i got to save this frame from the garbage , which is where the bike shop was going to store it.

I am going to my shop later on today to get the seat post out. i am determined and not coming home without positive results.

I will keep you updated with the restoration process.
I assume there are no replacement decals around. It would be nice to restore those as well.
You're welcome and it was a great opportunity to go back down memory lane. There are people who will have far more info than I as I really didn't know him. I'll bet people like Stever Bauer (TdF yellow jersey!) could tell you lots -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bauer

Steve's in Italy right now at the Giro.

Jocelyn Lovell (Toronto) could too. There will be lots of others.

Before you try removing that seatpost I hope you've seen Sheldon Brown's notes on the job.
Yes I don't imagine there are any original decals but you can have them reproduced. I saw a set done for a friend's CCM Tour du Canada bike recently. Ask at Bicycle Specialties in Toronto (google it) as the painter there (pro cyclist Mike Barry's dad owns the business) got them done.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seat post is out. But the old Suntour superbe pro bottom bracket shell is still stuck.

I either find the other shell or somehow get this one out.

I would like to build this frame with super be pro track components.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Deniz said:
The seat post is out.
Great!

But the old Suntour superbe pro bottom bracket shell is still stuck.
Do you mean "cups" and not shell? Is this the fixed cup? Make %$#@ sure you're trying to turn the cup in the correct direction. Clamp the flats of the cup in a vice with good square jaws. That's assuming the fixed cup has flats on it. Make sure everything is solid. Turn the FRAME ~ using it as the wrench. This has yet to fail me.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, believe it or not but the only vice close by is mounted on the bumper of a 78 Chevy 1 ton. It does not have enough clearence to turn the frame. I will go to the local bike shop for this task.
I know the right side cup is a LH thread. SO it should loosen by turning clockwise.

Started stripping the paint on the fork and i will dip it in por-15 tostop the rusting process. then same with the frame.

will post pictures;

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Deniz said:
Mike, believe it or not but the only vice close by is mounted on the bumper of a 78 Chevy 1 ton.
You must be in the boonies of Mississippi! :D You get extra points if it's on the front bumper :D

I know the right side cup is a LH thread. SO it should loosen by turning clockwise.
Ahh great! 99.99% of the world doesn't know that.

will post pictures;
Cool!!

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BB is out finally. I just needed to find a vice square and strong enough.
I also bead blasted the fork and sanded it down for a fresh coat of paint.

Primer is drying right now. I can't wait to build this bike and ride it proudly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.