Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if that's the kind my relatives had (or even if that's what's on my head). I just thought all cysts had that yucky stuff because the dictionary told me they did.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There are lots of kinds of cysts - but the ones you describe sound like sebaceous cysts... a pocket filled with creamy foul smelling schmutz... they can be lanced, and the filling can be squuezed out, but they often recur unless you remove the capsule inside as well. fun, fun, fun...

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone ever had a cyst? Anyone know anything about them? I don't know much about them except they seem to be just a clump of cells with a sort of semi-solid liquid in them. My aunt and a couple of uncles used to have them growing on their scalp in odd places. I don't think my mom ever had one, but I think I may have one developing on the back left side of my head. It's just a lump. It doesn't hurt, but it's uncomfortable when you put pressure on it, like if I lean my head way back to look at the sky it hits my back.

Is there any way to get rid of them other than having them cut out? That's what my relatives always had to do. I don't have health insurance, so obviously just an elective surgery type deal like that isn't an option. Plus (and this is gonna sound vain and stupid), I don't want them to shave my hair off.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yarble just needs to put some dumbells in his pockets. The J's wouldn't fit in a jersey pocket, but some of those nifty workout thingies might.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep..

kpcw said:
Physs is a Dr, he can offer the 411 etc.

THe more I think of it though etc, J's prolly has these cyst things, he has/had/is getting everything etc. Bet he can offer a detailed story etc.

Oh and don't post a pic.

Edit: Yarble WANTS some of these cysts etc. According to my math, they can add .000015 pounds each, this way he can descend downhill faster etc.
Thorn Bait BTW is a physician, I am a PA, but I think he is correct in the description. They sound like sebaceous cysts, the problem is, they will almost always recur.....

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
This guy who works at my school has earlobes that are all lumpy and puffed up to the size of golf balls. Are these cysts or is that some type of keloid scarring?

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But if you leave them they just get bigger and bigger, don't they? My uncle used to get them the size of golf balls. I don't want a big lump protruding from my head. Ew. I don't remember them ever recurring in the same spot, just recurring on the scalp.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
It doesn't look like that. It's just the earlobes. The rest of the ear is fine.
-yeah, then I'd probably vote for keloid - perhaps from ear piercing? Other than that - well I guess I'd have to see it... take a picture and post it...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
This guy who works at my school has earlobes that are all lumpy and puffed up to the size of golf balls. Are these cysts or is that some type of keloid scarring?
That sounds like cauliflower ear (repeated trauma, especially brusing of the ears or tearing of the cartilage causes this). This is typically seen in wrestlers and boxers.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Thorn Bait said:
That sounds like cauliflower ear (repeated trauma, especially brusing of the ears or tearing of the cartilage causes this). This is typically seen in wrestlers and boxers.
It doesn't look like that. It's just the earlobes. The rest of the ear is fine.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
kpcw said:
Physs is a Dr, he can offer the 411 etc.

THe more I think of it though etc, J's prolly has these cyst things, he has/had/is getting everything etc. Bet he can offer a detailed story etc.

Oh and don't post a pic.

Edit: Yarble WANTS some of these cysts etc. According to my math, they can add .000015 pounds each, this way he can descend downhill faster etc.
fastest ive ever gone downhill was low 50's. scary as sh!t. will never try it again.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Oh come on woman! You know what to do. Hold your titanium spork over a gas flame until it glows orange, stick it in, give it a good twist and then scoop the mess out. Next you pour an ample amount of gunpowder in the gaping wound and light it. The next thing is very important: DON"T run around the trailer like a screaming torch setting the whole place ablaze but go outside and CALMLY wait till the ordeal is over and you'll be right as rain. :)

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rogger said:
Oh come on woman! You know what to do. Hold your titanium spork over a gas flame until it glows orange, stick it in, give it a good twist and then scoop the mess out. Next you pour an ample amount of gunpowder in the gaping wound and light it. The next thing is very important: DON"T run around the trailer like a screaming torch setting the whole place ablaze but go outside and CALMLY wait till the ordeal is over and you'll be right as rain. :)
See, that's just what I needed to hear. Damn this being nervous. ;)

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Where oh where is ishy when you need him?

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
Gig 'em said:
See, that's just what I needed to hear. Damn this being nervous. ;)
just go to your student health center. im sure someone will check you out and tell you what it is for nearly nothing. you pay for most of the services in your univ. charges. even though i have insurance through my parents, alot of stuff is cheaper (or free) if i get it done through school.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Sounds like Rick Flair. Whoooooooooooooooooooooo.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Actually, I had a cyst in college, nastly little thing, started to grow out on my back, docs finally had to remove it. Not a big thing, just went to the docs office, they numbed my back and cut the thing out. Why they would not let me keep it is beyond me.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
lousylegs said:
Why they would not let me keep it is beyond me.
They just knew you wouldn't be a good parent to it, you may think lightly of it, but it's tougher than you could imagine. I could keep two of my wisdom teeth, but eventually they became too boisterous for me to handle and they were taken to the tooth pound. Take it from me, it's prolly for the best, tho the pain is hard to endure. I wish you strength and courage and hope you'll never have to go through this again.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
rogger said:
They just knew you wouldn't be a good parent to it, you may think lightly of it, but it's tougher than you could imagine. I could keep two of my wisdom teeth, but eventually they became too boisterous for me to handle and they were taken to the tooth pound. Take it from me, it's prolly for the best, tho the pain is hard to endure. I wish you strength and courage and hope you'll never have to go through this again.
Sniff, sniff, Thanks Rogger, after years of intense therapy, I believe that I am finally able to talk about it.

It was just so heart breaking to see the little guy being taken away, I was already thinking of names for it.

Hope I don't relapse, good thing I am going to the doc to day to get my Prozac refilled.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts