Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Cytomax-Tangy Orange flavor for the last 7 or 8 rides during the past 2 months, usually 40-60 miles per ride. I find I get a bloated have to go to the bathroom feeling at the end of the ride that lasts for around 5 or 6 hours. I really like the results it gives me on the bike. It advertises how it reduces perceived exertion,reduces oxygen consumption, and lowers lactic acid level during and after training by 40% in addition to providing electrolytes. Maybe I am gullible but at least to me it seems to work as advertised. I generally take two 24 oz bottles of the stuff on rides and depending on the temperature go through 1 1/2 to the full 2 bottles. As it gets warmer I will need to hydrate more and I am afraid that the bloating will make the stuff unusable to me. I mix about 1 1/2 scoops per 24 oz bottle. So any suggestions how to use this stuff better or another brand of performance drink that would give me similiar results without bloating would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I've been using Cytomax for a couple years with no problems. I mix mine a weaker then you. I usually use 3/4 - 1 scoop per bottle. Not sure if it actually helps, but I like the taste of it. I'd say try a weaker mix. Or one bottle of Cytomax and one of water. If that doesn't work try some other types.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,832 Posts
Individuality

geraldatworkI find I get a bloated have to go to the bathroom feeling at the end of the ride that lasts for around 5 or 6 hours.[/QUOTE said:
A standard caution on drinks is that you have to try different ones to find what works for you. Many will cause digestive problems for some people. Dilution may help, otherwise try a different brand or flavor. BTW, there is nothing magic in any of these drinks - they are just a convenient packaging of water, calories, and salt. When compared with the same nutrition from other sources (i.e. food) they offer no scientifically proven benefit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
geraldatwork said:
I have been using Cytomax-Tangy Orange flavor for the last 7 or 8 rides during the past 2 months, usually 40-60 miles per ride. I find I get a bloated have to go to the bathroom feeling at the end of the ride that lasts for around 5 or 6 hours. I really like the results it gives me on the bike. It advertises how it reduces perceived exertion,reduces oxygen consumption, and lowers lactic acid level during and after training by 40% in addition to providing electrolytes. Maybe I am gullible but at least to me it seems to work as advertised. I generally take two 24 oz bottles of the stuff on rides and depending on the temperature go through 1 1/2 to the full 2 bottles. As it gets warmer I will need to hydrate more and I am afraid that the bloating will make the stuff unusable to me. I mix about 1 1/2 scoops per 24 oz bottle. So any suggestions how to use this stuff better or another brand of performance drink that would give me similiar results without bloating would be appreciated.

I mix 3 scoops per 24 oz bottles.

What else are you consuming with it? If I have Powerade - I get some serious problems. Gatorade is much better on the side.

Powerbars - are no problem with cytomax, and the powergels I have no problems consuming with cytomax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bas said:
I mix 3 scoops per 24 oz bottles.

What else are you consuming with it? If I have Powerade - I get some serious problems. Gatorade is much better on the side.

Powerbars - are no problem with cytomax, and the powergels I have no problems consuming with cytomax.
3hree scoops seem like a lot for 24 oz, but if it works for you great. Cytomax recommends 1-1 1/2 scoops per 16 oz so my 1 1/2 for 24 oz shouldn't be too much.However I might try diluting to one scoop for the 24 oz as another poster suggested. I eat Cliff Bars during my rides. Generally 2wo bars for every 3hree hours of riding. For whatever reason the bloating doesn't start until after I stop riding. It is not the Cliff Bars as I have been eating them for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Try a different flavour of Cytomax. Your taste is probably different from mine but I did find the Orange to be the least appealing flavour of all the Cytomax's. My favourite right now is Grape.

Also another vote for dilution. I use 1 scoop per 24oz bottle - gets too sickly to be refreshing otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
yeah.. you should try other brands

and see what works for you and your stomach.. I've been using Cytomax for 6 years now. The cool citrus is a very neutral flavor which works for me. I use one and a half scoops for my 28 oz bottles.
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,854 Posts
Dilute - Drink Water

mr meow meow said:
...I've been using Cytomax for 6 years now. The cool citrus is a very neutral flavor which works for me. I use one and a half scoops for my 28 oz bottles.
My wife has a problem with bloating for many energy drinks. She has found that diluting Cytomax helps. Typically she mixes her Cytomax with 1 scoop per normal size bottle while I mix mine with 1 1/3 scoops but I have an iron stomach. She prefers the cool citrus in the summer heat and fruit punch in cooler temperatures.

What else are you drinking? Remember a sip of plain water after a sip of Cytomax will dilute in your stomach. I always want a bottle of plain water when I ride and will sometimes mix my Cytomax extra strong to avoid having to stop and refill and then simply dilute the heavy mix by chasing it with a sip of water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
Srexy said:
Try a different flavour of Cytomax. Your taste is probably different from mine but I did find the Orange to be the least appealing flavour of all the Cytomax's. My favourite right now is Grape.

Also another vote for dilution. I use 1 scoop per 24oz bottle - gets too sickly to be refreshing otherwise.
You probably wouldn't like the Peachy Keen then. That is my favorite.

It is hard to tell the difference between it and Orange when riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the advise. One thing I didn't mention is while I still have the bloated feeling it seems to be getting slightly better over time. Maybe as suggested I'll dilute the mixture even further as I am getting some of the nutrients I need from the Cliff Bars. Possibly my body is taking time getting used to it. The first time I used it I was so bloated I had to lay down and couldn't eat for about 6 hours.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top