Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between Dura Ace and Ultegra. I'm in the process of replacing a bike, so I am using mostly insurance $. I had Ultegra in the past, and other than the occasional hiccup, i was pretty happy. I don't plan to race, I do group ride occasionally, and generally head out on 50-60 mile rides on wknds. Maybe ride 1-2 times during the week ... Is Dura Ace really that much better or is it just more gucci?

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Save your money. Unless you're racing and really need the weight savings, DA is a waste of money.

Save that extra cash and upgrade your wheels or get a spare set.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Depends. I would go for DA.

If you are keeping the bike for a long time, the extra cost per mile for getting DA is negligible.

If you plan to sell the bike in a year or two, a full DA bike will go much higher than a full Ultegra bike.

Either way it's worth it.

The only exception is if your budget doesn't allow DA. But then you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

teleguy03 said:
Trying to decide between Dura Ace and Ultegra. I'm in the process of replacing a bike, so I am using mostly insurance $. I had Ultegra in the past, and other than the occasional hiccup, i was pretty happy. I don't plan to race, I do group ride occasionally, and generally head out on 50-60 mile rides on wknds. Maybe ride 1-2 times during the week ... Is Dura Ace really that much better or is it just more gucci?

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Value proposition

This question, or one like it, comes up ALL the time. The short answer is that there is no way you can justify going up one level on bike parts, but many of us do it all the time. It is impossible to determine the value of DA vs. Ultegra, or even DA vs. Tiagra. No different than asking what is the value of a BMW vs. a Dodge Neon or Honda Civic. My general advice is that you "never" look back when you get the next higher group, but sometimes the reverse is not the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts