Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have them, use them...Have comments, good or bad...

I'm thinking about forking out the cash for a pair...

I'm in Sidi shoes right now and I they just don't fit right for the long haul. I have a some what narrowish foot and heel. The real problem is that my feet are very low volume and nothing off the shelve comes close to fitting right...except Sidi...I know the killer in the Sidi, for me, is the curved forefoot area of the shoe bed and the arch support...

I'm having issues with foot pain, knee pain, ankle pain. None of these things are killer, but they are there and I know something just isn't right. Everything started going downhill when I got the Sidi's and road pedals. I assumed it was cleat position and/or bike fit related, but all that has been checked out and it's still not where I want it. The last thing I can think of is the contact point where it all starts...my feet...

I've always had problems getting casual and dress shoes to fit right, so why should cycling shoes be any different...

· Registered
5,358 Posts
You could get some different inserts. The stock Sidi ones don't work well for me. I have been using Petersen inserts in my Sidis and they work ok. I also have narrow feet and the Petersen inserts take up some room. They are designed to compress after a few rides so that they fit to your feet.

Besides D2 there is also Bont and Rocket 7. I have been considering getting some new shoes and the D2s at the top of my list based on what I have seen from owner feedback on line. The fit process is the most comprehensive of the three and D2 has a better reputation for customer service.

I am having a hard time beleiving that shoe fit alone would cause knee pain. That seems much more likely to be from bad cleat setup. Just because you paid someone to set them up doesn't mean that they are in the right position for you. You should try setting them up yourself, preferably with the bike on a trainer. Measure their current position before you move them (or trace around them on the sole of the shoe with a pen).

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pointers...

I've read so many articles on fit and cleat position and applied everything I could to get myself to a point where I think it's close, but it's still not perfect....

I currently have Specialized BG inserts in the Sidi's and I also have one shim in each shoe, which I have modified to allow more room for my big toes. Without the the shims the arch in the Sidi is to great, plus my big toe goes numb because of the constant pressure from the shape of the Sidi's footbed. I'm certain that the forefoot area of the shoe just isn't right for me. The width and volume is right, but the shape is wrong.

No other off the shelf shoe comes close to the fit that I get from the Sidi, but it's still not right...

All I know is that adjusting my fit by mm's has caused improvements in comfort, I can only imagine what a proper fitting shoe would do.

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
I've been riding D2's for a bit over a year now. They're a huge improvement over every shoe I ever tried. I'm definitely happy, and consider it money very well spent. I still get some foot pain on long (5+ hour) rides, but that's a lot longer than I'd been able to go in the past.

Dan and Don are really easy to deal with, answer calls and email pretty quickly. The only downside to the process was that my shoes arrived 2 weeks later than originally promised.

I'm not a fit expert, and you said the problems began when you switched to the Sidis, but if you're having problems that extend down your leg, your problem may be more fit related than shoe related and as the other poster said, you may want to get that cleat alignment double checked.

· Registered
441 Posts
godot said:
I've been riding D2's for a bit over a year now. They're a huge improvement over every shoe I ever tried. I'm definitely happy, and consider it money very well spent. I still get some foot pain on long (5+ hour) rides, but that's a lot longer than I'd been able to go in the past.

Dan and Don are really easy to deal with, answer calls and email pretty quickly. The only downside to the process was that my shoes arrived 2 weeks later than originally promised.

I'm not a fit expert, and you said the problems began when you switched to the Sidis, but if you're having problems that extend down your leg, your problem may be more fit related than shoe related and as the other poster said, you may want to get that cleat alignment double checked.
You will get your money's worth. D2 shoes are well worth it if you have fit problems. IMO, they are built better than Rocket 7 shoes.

· Registered
122 Posts
Stick with normal shoes if you can...

Only get the full Custom Shoes... Custom Last and Sole. Also expect some shipping back and forth if you have any issues...
If you can fit into a normal off the self pair of shoes, do that and then get a good orthotic. e-Soles...

I am 3 months into my D2 order and still can't ride more then an hour in them. Good customer service but bad quality control on the order. I ordered mine when Don was in Mexico working at the shop where they are now building the shoes.
#1 - MTB shoe - ordered a 5mm spacer on left foot. Info didn't get from Eagle to Mexico in the order. Had to send back to get it redone.
#2 - Healcups - I have a bone spur on the back of my heals. They took measurements and pictures of it. Didn't get on the order. First ride it cut into my heals and I had to heat and shape them temporally just to get a ride in. But at that time I had blisters for a week from the first ride.
#3 - Orthotics - Where not cut correctly. New system and only Don knows how to use it correctly. Had to send back for that.
#4 - Biggest one - They don't fit the shape of my feet with the stock Last and Sole shape. I had asked about a custom last before the order and was willing to pay for it. Was assured that the stock lasts will fit my feet. I have a big toe that goes straight and doesn't fit into shoes that have a curved in toe box. After sending them back twice to be stretched and reshaped, they still don't fit my feet. This is the main reason for getting "custom" shoes.

At this point I am sitting on two pair of shoes, Road and Mountain, that I can't ride. Either trying to get a refund or get them to build a custom last and build a New pair of shoes around that.
I need new shoes now, so I might be off to the LBS to try on something to get me through the season.

*Best fitting shoe I had was Rocket7 10 years ago. Used a plaster sock to build last. Was not the best quality uppers but the shoes fit like a glove. No knee problems, no hot feet. They have since gone to a standard shoe. Not really custom in my book...

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply...

I think I had read about your ordeal, or part of it on another board or blog...

Talk to a Podiatrist friend of mine and he made the same comment about going with a stock off the shelf shoe and an orthotic. I have the same issue as you with the big toe and curved last in the toebox. That is my main issue, as well as proper arch support...

My other concern is getting an orthotic that fit properly with the last of the shoe. I have tried heat moldable insoles in my Sidi's and they felt like crap...Way too much arch support....But, in regular running shoes these same insoles feel good.

I'm going to be making a trip into Toronto in the next few weeks so I'm hoping to try on a pair of the Shimano heat moldable shoes and see how they feel.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I have been thinking of getting a pair of D2 road shoes. I have had knee issues with Sidi and Specialized, finally resorting to using my Lake MX-190 mountain shoes. These shoes cause me no pain at all. I know that there are a lot of other variables, such as cleat placement, etc..., but I think that the shoe has something to do with it. I talked to Don breifly about it and he agreed that there are other things going on outside of the structure of the shoe.

My question is: what is the advantage that the D2's have over the Shimano heat molded shoes? I know that one is built for you custom (or near custom from a variety of lasts, molds, etc...) and the other is not custom other than the fact that it shrinks to fit your foot. Has anyone had the opportunity to A/B these two shoes? How good are the soles in the Shimano? I have some Sidas custom molded insoles that made a huge difference for me in comfort and on long rides I REALLY notice the added comfort.

· Registered
122 Posts
What is a standard shaped foot? That is the question...

tyro - Why not buy another pair of Lakes? Your foot seems to match their shape, so why change?

Each shoe/brand uses a different shaped last and different shaped sole. With the Shimano heat moldable - Would work if the sole shape is close to your foot shape. Depending on the material, shoes will only stretch so far and want to revert back to their original shape. Leather will stretch some. Plastic & Carbon won't stretch unless heated and then only so much.
My girlfriend got a pair of D2 a few years ago. Too tight in the toes. She has sent them back to be stretched a few times. Feels good for a few weeks, then it shrinks back to the original shape. Next shoes will be off the shelf with orthotics made to them. That way she can try on BEFORE buying.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
SlowBikeRacer said:
tyro - Why not buy another pair of Lakes? Your foot seems to match their shape, so why change?

Actually, I have some on the way as we speak. I ordered two models, the CX-190 and the 330 C. I am thinking that if they do not work right, I'll go with the Shimano and then possibly the D2. I'm hoping that the Lakes do the trick. The guy that I talk to at Lake is so very helpful and knowledgeable. Super guy really!

· Registered
122 Posts
Just an update my D2 Shoe Problem
I am over a year into the shoe ordeal and still don't have a new pair that works. I am riding my old shoe on my left foot and me new one on my right.
Sending stuff back to Eagle for minor adjustments just doesn't work. I made a few trips to Eagle but can't afford the time anymore. To much of a guessing game of what is wrong sending stuff by mail. Almost impossible to adjust without being there. If I ride 45 minutes in the new D2 I get knee pain that lasts for a week. Tried to get a pair of custom lasts made but they won't do it. So really not a "Custom" shoe. Just a best fit / guess shoe now.

I would highly recommend getting a good pair of shoes and using a local person to make orthotics. Much easier to go in and get adjusted. As soon I have money saved up again, this what I'm going to do. Blew my shoe budget on the 2 pair of D2 that I am now stuck with since there is no refund. Using 7 year old Mountain Bike shoes and 5 year road shoes still. Hoping they don't fall apart before I get something that works...

· Registered
274 Posts
Custom problems I could imagine

I have put off buying custom shoes because I always thought I would have the type of problems you have encountered, sending shoes back and forth to Eagle, CO, or elsewhere, does not sound like a pleasant experience, getting them back and they are still not right, that must really be a horror. I'm now wearing the 2009 Specialized Pro shoes with custom orthotics and I think it is about as good as it can get, Having custom orthotics made locally is the way to go. Good luck getting your D2's squared away, I feel for you.

ifcjti

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I decided to go ahead and order some D2's and it seems I am having the same negative issues as some of you. I've sent the shoes back twice now and they are still not right. While the fit of the shoes is very snug and glove-like, the toe in one shoe is still far too short. On top of that, they are causing me significant knee pain, which is one of the things that D2 claimed they could alleviate with their custom orthotic. Right now I'm using Shimano R-300 shoes with a heat-molded Sidas insole. It's not a custom orthotic, nor is it a custom shoe, but I've ridden thousands of pain free miles on this setup. I don't really care much about the "why", but I'm sticking with what works.

In speaking to Don before I did the Fit Kit, I asked if I should go to a podiatrist to help me or better yet have a podiatrist make a custom mold of my foot to send to him. He gave an emphatic, "No." saying that some of the worst Fit Kits they have ever gotten have come from professionals and that they are notoriously poor foot mold-takers. While I think that some of the inadequacies and shortcomings of the shoe could be traced to the Fit Kit, not allowing others to help with the process precludes any type of oversight or correction. In other words, you are on your own.

I do not want to discourage others to try the shoes though. You could say my experience is strictly anecdotal. Take it for what it is, one guy's experience. I plan on sending the shoes back until at least the toe is long enough. Right now, my toe is still banging into the end of the shoe.

· Registered
323 Posts
I have nasty feet (radically different in size and width, one with a very high instep and the other normal. Both broken when I was young) and the D2 shoes have kept me on the bike an comfortable. For me they fit from the first try on and after a number of years of hard use they still look great and show no real wear.

The best money I've ever spent on the sport.

dave

· Registered
441 Posts
David Kirk said:
I have nasty feet (radically different in size and width, one with a very high instep and the other normal. Both broken when I was young) and the D2 shoes have kept me on the bike an comfortable. For me they fit from the first try on and after a number of years of hard use they still look great and show no real wear.

The best money I've ever spent on the sport.

dave
Mine fit from the go too. My wife has a pair, and her's needed a slight adjustment and a couple of break-in rides, but now fit perfectly.

SlowBikeRacer: If you are in Boulder, why not take a trip to Eagle so D2 can examine the problem and try to correct it?

· Registered
83 Posts
if the shoe fits wear it:D D2s Rocket7 your going to hear problems with a custom shoe's.
I have Rocket7s and just std fit no custom fit and like them so far. My son looking into getting him a pair of D2s see how he like them. Would get him some custom Rocket's color only but I think they have gone crazy on there price or done making shoes cant figure them out. so it is D2s next I guess

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.