Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Problem: DA 10 big ring compatible with 105 10 cranks?

Hey guys, I was wondering if a DA (or Ultegra for that matter) big ring would be compatible with my new 105 10spd cranks. For some reason my cranks came geared 50/39 and I would really like to have a 53T big ring, however, I can't find any 105 10spd rings, let alone the 52T they offer (for some reason 52T is the biggest in the 105 10spd). Anyway, I know that the cranks are 130mm 5 bolt pattern, so I would think that a DA/Ultegra 10spd ring would work fine, just wanted to check and make sure. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
TBomb said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if a DA (or Ultegra for that matter) big ring would be compatible with my new 105 10spd cranks. For some reason my cranks came geared 50/39 and I would really like to have a 53T big ring, however, I can't find any 105 10spd rings, let alone the 52T they offer (for some reason 52T is the biggest in the 105 10spd). Anyway, I know that the cranks are 130mm 5 bolt pattern, so I would think that a DA/Ultegra 10spd ring would work fine, just wanted to check and make sure. Thanks!
No problem at all

·
Registered
491 Posts
Should be fine except the "webbed" design of the DA rings might not match the spider of the 105 crank. You can get 10-spd Ultegra chainrings or even use 9-spd chainrings.

TBomb said:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squint said:
Should be fine except the "webbed" design of the DA rings might not match the spider of the 105 crank. You can get 10-spd Ultegra chainrings or even use 9-spd chainrings.
can you explain the "webbed" design? there are DA rings that look like mine, as in, the big rings both look like a big solid piece rather than having the big D-ish shaped openings between the crank bolt areas. i don't know if that's what you meant or not...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I got a DA 10 speed big ring, 53T, type B to work with my type B 39T little ring, except now the chain rubs the inside of the big ring when I'm in the little ring and in any of the 3 smallest cogs in the back...should I get a new little ring, try to space them out somehow, or just shift to the big ring sooner? Thanks!

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Shift sooner?

TBomb said:
OK, so I got a DA 10 speed big ring, 53T, type B to work with my type B 39T little ring, except now the chain rubs the inside of the big ring when I'm in the little ring and in any of the 3 smallest cogs in the back...should I get a new little ring, try to space them out somehow, or just shift to the big ring sooner? Thanks!
Hello,

Well I'd shift sooner to the big ring(53x19 instead of 39x14). If you want to use a 39x12-13-14 combination, get a wider bottom bracket. I don't know if this solution is a very wise one though.

Cheers

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Not quite right

TBomb said:
now the chain rubs the inside of the big ring when I'm in the little ring and in any of the 3 smallest cogs in the back...should I get a new little ring, try to space them out somehow, or just shift to the big ring sooner?
It's real common to have chain rub when in the smallest cog, and sometimes in the second smallest cog, but rub in the 3rd smallest cog suggests there's a problem with your chain line. A center line between the chain rings should line up with the center line of the cassette cogs. If your chain line is correct and you're still having this problem, then that suggests very short chain stays. You can move the crank a bit to the right with a BB spacer installed between the frame and the fixed cup (available at any decent bike shop), but that will make the use of the big ring and the large cogs more problematic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts