Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of building up a new frame (calfee Tetra (glug glug spittle drooling sound calfee tetra)) with dura ace 10. Will I have problems fitting the casette onto some non dura ace freehub bodies, or will it work with any hub that worked with 9 speed shimano?

your kind responding words are already appreciated,
jasm.

·
Registered
777 Posts
frogjasm said:
I'm thinking of building up a new frame (calfee Tetra (glug glug spittle drooling sound calfee tetra)) with dura ace 10. Will I have problems fitting the casette onto some non dura ace freehub bodies, or will it work with any hub that worked with 9 speed shimano?

your kind responding words are already appreciated,
jasm.
Since, in a rare moment of backward compatibility, DA 10 speed cassettes fit 9 speed Shimano hubs, they should also fit anyone else's Shimano 9 speed compatible hubs.

Take your hub to your LBS, and slide a cassette onto it.
It should work.

--Shannon

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
They will even work on a rear 7400 Dura Ace or Ultegra 8 speed hub.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You Should Be Fine

I have DA10 cassettes on both my WH-7800 wheels (obvious!) and my AC350 race wheels - no problems. The 10-speed cassette is actually narrower than the 9-speed, so the cassettes come with a thin spacer which you mount before you slide on the cassette. The splines on the 10-speed cassettes are deeper than those on the 9-speeds. That is why you can slide the cassette on an older hub (the shallower splines on the freehub simply don't "fill the void" completely, but you have just as much contact area as you did on the 9-speed cassette) but you cannot fit a 9-speed cassette on the 10-speed hubs because the deeper splines on the freehub have no place to go on the 9-speed cassette.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts