Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I set up my new DA 7850's with Stans and Pirahna's and am pretty excited about the upcoming season. Problem is this: riding about a couple days ago, climbing across a grassy sidehill and darned if I didn't have the front tire burping at me. I had about 35 lbs in at the time, I'd estimate. I raced tubeless Stan's 29'r rims with Mud 2's last year and had not even the slightest of problems. So I was pretty suprised to have my new DA tubless set up burping at me on a sunny 85 degree day in pretty tame conditons.

Anybody else had great/ok/bad experiences with similar setups?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awww, c'mon ... I need solutions here, not another wheelset!!! There has been a recent freeze on wheel spending too by my new bride. She has a checklist of familiar bikes but not one for wheels so a new wheelset might be possible, but she's pretty sharp.

As in other things, perhaps it is true here as well that the enemy of good is better.

I'll have to experiment some more. Maybe immersion in mud and misery is needed to create the proper seal.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought so too, but it leaked like mad all around the rim when I aired it (using a compressor) without Stans. I'd say (limited trials) that some sealant is necessary. Maybe the Hutchinson fastair is better, but I suspect most of the sealants are basically the same.

· Registered
141 Posts
Fast'Air

haynen said:
Maybe the Hutchinson fastair is better, but I suspect most of the sealants are basically the same.
I've used Vittoria's Pit Stop and FastAir - I liked the Fast'Air, seemed to have more pressure in the can and the latex sealed up the initial tire inflation and small punctures well.

I would still use the Pit Stop, it just the Fast'Air is my goto sealent.

YMMV

· p != b
2,303 Posts
haynen said:
Awww, c'mon ... I need solutions here, not another wheelset!!! There has been a recent freeze on wheel spending too by my new bride. She has a checklist of familiar bikes but not one for wheels so a new wheelset might be possible, but she's pretty sharp.
easy solution - sell the 7850's to some unsuspecting OMG TUBLESS!!!111 noob, use the proceeds to buy two sets of handbuilt tubies (velocity fusion w/ ultegra hubs or similar) and some tires to boot.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Please esplain to me why this is better than tubies. Anyone?

· Registered
52 Posts
haynen,

are your pirhana's the 'tubeless ready' version, or standard? i had some burping issues with the older standard hutchinsons, but have been burp free with the newer tubeless ready version. using kysrium elite wheels w/ stans.

is there a reason you switched away from the 29inch stans rims? i've only used stans rims on my 26inch bikes. but i'd say they're way better at letting you run lower pressures without burping than anything else out there.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I iz old and cranky.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Sorry. Slight mis-interpretation of "luddite".

· Registered
226 Posts
Here is an actual solution.

Install a thick rubber rim strip, the thickest that you can find.
This will fill the area between the bead and the bottom of the rim creating a physical barrier that will prevent the bead from sliding when filled with 30-35 psi. The Stan's rim did not have this problem because the rim profile is tighter, so the bead of the tire is resting on the bottom of the rim. Unfortunately the Dura Ace wheel was not designed for CX and 30-35psi, it is designed for road at 90-120psi and does not have this problem at higher pressures.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I switched from stans rims because, well newer must be better, right?? Ha ha...
I'm using the correct tubeless varieties of the tires.
I'll try the rim strip (makes sense), and soaping, I have a feeling though, that it is going to be a problem that I won't be able to fix sufficiently to feel comfortable rolling them out in the first race.
For a $1K the system should work, and require very little after market modification, I'd say. It suprises me that they are marketing this as a viable tubeless option - unless I have a Eureka! moment in my near future (and I hope I do).
The difference between the DA's and the stans wheels is remarkable; the Stans bead is nearly impossible to unseat (even with almost no pressure in the tire) while the DA tire loses air quite easily with pressure - direct or lateral- on the tire, and that's with about 35-40 lbs in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.