Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, wondering if anyone else has noticed an issue with the new 11 speed 9000 series DA rear derailleur touching the spokes when under heavy load in the lowest gear?

The cassette is a DA 11-28T mounted on a Zipp 202 Firecrest wheel in a S-Works Roubaix SL4 frame.

Under normal riding I can use the 36 x 28 combo no worries, although its really only used on the steep stuff. When grinding up a steep incline (15-20%) or out of the saddle, obviously I'm getting enough flex in either the wheel or the frame so the RD touches the spokes at times. I'm worried about jamming the RD into the wheel if I push just that bit extra or hit a bump etc.

The main reason I'm asking is that the RD cage and jockey wheels on the 9000 series appear to be canted in slightly toward the wheel, more or less following the line of the spokes from hub to rim, so the lower jockey wheel is more inboard than the upper one. Is this normal?? The lower part of the RD cage also appears to flare out slightly toward the bottom which makes it worse.
The Ultegra RD on my other bike appears to be more or less perpendicular with the cog and two jockey wheels in a straight line to the ground.

I've tried to attach a pic showing it, but hard to get the right angle, easier to see with the naked eye etc

View attachment 281474

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
There's a park tool that aligns the hanger so it's parallel. Its a basic check that the lbs should do after delivery. Easy for it to bend out of alignment during shipping, or during manufacture.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Your LBS needs to learn how to align the Rd hanger before delivering a bike.
Or it could have happened if the bike fell to that side.

But yes, your hanger is bent. I can see the problem in the pic; the cage should be perpendicular to the ground, not angled toward the spokes.

Shouldn't take much time for the shop to fix.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, I'll drop it in to them and get them to check it out.

Interesting though, with the chain on the 28T there is still a good 4-5mm of clearance to the spokes, so I'm still getting it to flex more than I thought it would.

cheers

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I'm not suggesting that a bent RD hanger isn't possible, because it is, but since you don't make mention of other shifting issues, I don't think your symptoms are consistent with that.

IMO, more likely, there's flex that wouldn't occur in a work stand during tuning that the wrench has to compensate for with a slight adjustment to the low (limit) adjustment screw.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or it could have happened if the bike fell to that side.

But yes, your hanger is bent. I can see the problem in the pic; the cage should be perpendicular to the ground, not angled toward the spokes.

Shouldn't take much time for the shop to fix.
thanks, will see what the LBS comes up with on Thursday. Other than the odd ping off the spokes when driving it hard up a hill in the 28t, the drive train is dead quiet and shifting is perfect. I guess I wasnt sure if the RD had a slightly different design for chain line being 11 speed etc. i was going to bugger around with the low limit screw myself, but since I had so much clearance normally, didnt really seem to make sense.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Flex could mean a soft hanger. Sometimes if they are bent, they lose their stiffness and need to be replaced. You can go with oem or a wheels manufacturing one. As well, check the bearing preload on your Zipp hub. If the bearings are loose the wheel may move more than it should.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Flex could mean a soft hanger. Sometimes if they are bent, they lose their stiffness and need to be replaced. You can go with oem or a wheels manufacturing one. As well, check the bearing preload on your Zipp hub. If the bearings are loose the wheel may move more than it should.
Once a RD hanger's been bent, it's strength may be *somewhat* compromised, but generally they're still serviceable and don't arbitrarily flex.

I think it's much more likely that there's a need to fine tune the drivetrain (low limit screw) to account for normally occurring flex.

Your theory of hub play is possibly a contributing factor. That can easily be checked by holding the tire and moving it side to side (left/ right. Bearing play can be felt and sometimes, heard.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's a Roubaix.... They flex. I blame your Zerts. Buy a Venge instead....

Just kidding.

Probably the hanger and let's face it tolerances keep getting tighter and tighter and this is the end result.

Hope you get it sorted, great bike the Roubaix and great wheels and group you have as well.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
... the RD cage and jockey wheels on the 9000 series appear to be canted in slightly toward the wheel, more or less following the line of the spokes from hub to rim, so the lower jockey wheel is more inboard than the upper one. Is this normal?? The lower part of the RD cage also appears to flare out slightly toward the bottom which makes it worse.
The Ultegra RD on my other bike appears to be more or less perpendicular with the cog and two jockey wheels in a straight line to the ground.
Since we're all more or less guessing here, another possibility is a bent RD cage. But because shifting is otherwise fine, I'll stay with my prediction that the limit screw will sort this out.

Can't wait for Thursday's update, OP!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since we're all more or less guessing here, another possibility is a bent RD cage. But because shifting is otherwise fine, I'll stay with my prediction that the limit screw will sort this out.

Can't wait for Thursday's update, OP!
Yes, time will tell!
i tried wiggling the wheel side to side, no noticable play or clunking sounds from the bearings.
interesting you say about the bent RD cage as from my initial description and the photo, the upper jockey wheel looks to be more or less directly below the corresponding cassette cog, however its the lower jockey wheel and cage that appears to be more significantly angled closer to the spokes. The lower part of the cage also gets wider toward the bottom (designed that way) which doesnt help.

will hopefully have an answer, a fix, and my bike, tomorrow night

cheers
Tim

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
This forum should have a way of dealing with wagers. I would put money on the hanger theory.
Ok, I'll put 5 bucks on it. :)

I don't think anyone is saying definitively it isn't the hanger, but given everything the OP has offered (mainly, that the bike shifts fine), I think the odds are good it's a simple (limit screw) adjustment.

The dynamics of road riding are far different from a static bike being tuned on a work stand - where wrenches typically tune bikes before delivery to customers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.