Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DA-9000 front hub.

Issue.. I can not get the damn thing to open! two 5mm allen keys on either side and twist.. NOPE! It doesn't budge! AT ALL!!!

What am i doing wrong? BTW I'm really cranking on these things.

I even looked at the dealer manual on the Shimano site. I'm doing it right, but damn I feel like if I twist anymore I'm going to strip the sockets!!!

HELP!!!

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it. Had to use the vice and a ratchet, but we're good to go. Unbelievable how tight that was. No lube at all on the cap threads/lock nuts/whatever you call them...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
More leverage. Secure one end on a vice (secure it by the 5mm wrench, not the axle end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Z5QcngH6A

Looks like a fairly easy process with the new "digital" adjustment. I'll have to bookmark this link for when the time comes that I need to service my new 6800 hubs.

Which bring up my question. How many miles down the road should I open these up and check them?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Looks like a fairly easy process with the new "digital" adjustment. I'll have to bookmark this link for when the time comes that I need to service my new 6800 hubs.

Which bring up my question. How many miles down the road should I open these up and check them?
IMO, it depends on the environment you most often ride in. If you often ride in wet conditions, every 6 months. In only dry conditions, every year.

If you bother opening them then might as well wipe the old grease off and grease them again

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
IMO, it depends on the environment you most often ride in. If you often ride in wet conditions, every 6 months. In only dry conditions, every year.

If you bother opening them then might as well wipe the old grease off and grease them again
So you're saying time, not miles is the way to look at it? I ride mostly in dry conditions. If I get caught in rain, it's accidental. The most rain my bike sees is on long trips while being transported on top of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Well, I say time over miles 'cause its easier to follow a maintenance schedule specially if you have multiple wheelsets which you undoubtedly will the longer and deeper you get into wheel-building.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts