Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used bike with Dura Ace 10 speed components. The right shifter has some scuff marks on the outside plastic part which may have been from a crash and probably caused the shifter to rattle. It's not a big deal as when I ride on the hoods, which I do 80% of the time, the rattling stops. I wonder though if there is any steps I can take try and stop it or do I have to live with it. Thanks in advance.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,335 Posts
A couple of tips

sgt_hedgehog said:
hmm... i have the same exact problem. any help would be appreciated.
I picked up some felt pads at my local hardware store and applied it to the inside top of my shifter housing. It helped take care of my rattle issue.

Also...

Check to see if the rattle is not caused by the shifter cables making contact with each other where they cross in front of the stem.

·
Banned
306 Posts
try this

I noticed a problem like this on my Ultegras just before I was due to replace the cables in an annual 'maintenance cycle' no pun intended! :D
and when I changed the cable the rattling disappeared..the prob was that the slack in the cable was causing the rattle and once it was taken up wiht the new cable voila!! prob solved..you could also try just regreasing the cable with similar results! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I picked up some felt pads at my local hardware store and applied it to the inside top of my shifter housing. It helped take care of my rattle issue
Definitely try this, especially if the STI's are 7800. The 7801 have a little rubber stop in the housing to prevent rattle which the 7800 do not have.

And as the others have mentioned, check the cabling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.