Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
So I've done a bit of a WD40 flush. I'll try some more tomorrow.
New cable and graphited the housing, but the rear shifter is still not as smooth as it should be. It begrudingly releases the cable when I click the small lever.

HOWEVER, I did notice when on the stand, if I hold the big lever still while working the small lever it shifts fine.
Does this give any indication of my problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Problem=Inherent vice of Shimano shifter.

That's how they're supposed to work. They work for a little while, then they don't and then its time to buy a new set. Planned obsolescence.
From the standpoint of ShimCorp, there's no problem there. Buy a new one.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
vibiker said:
Okay,
So I've done a bit of a WD40 flush. I'll try some more tomorrow.
New cable and graphited the housing, but the rear shifter is still not as smooth as it should be. It begrudingly releases the cable when I click the small lever.

HOWEVER, I did notice when on the stand, if I hold the big lever still while working the small lever it shifts fine.
Does this give any indication of my problem?

Thanks
Did you replace the cable housing or just the inner wire? I'd at least replace the loop at the rear der. Make sure you have the correct length of housing as well. (per. sheldonbrown.com)

Also check for burrs on the cable ends, damaged ferrules and crap in the cable guide under the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohm_S.Ohm said:
From the standpoint of ShimCorp, there's no problem there.
Dealing with them always gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Can't live with 'em. Can live w/o 'em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts