Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dura Ace 7402 double crank and have aquired a Campy Centaur 111mm square taper BB meant for a triple crank. The spindle length should work for the crank, but I have a reservation about the taper angles being compatible. I seem to remember something about Shimano and Campy not mixing in this area.

any help is appreciated.
brewster

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Same taper

The taper angle of the two BBs is the same, but the Shimano is JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) and the Campy is ISO (International Standards Organization). The difference is that the diameter is smaller on the ISO unit, and so the crank will go on farther (perhaps 3 mm) and so affect your chain line. Whether the chain line is a problem, will depend on your specific setup. Other than that, no problems unless the Shimano crank actually bottoms out on the Campy BB.

·
century rider
108 Posts
is that the 8 speed

low profile model? not sure about the model numbers but the DA 8 spd crank(b4 they went to 9spd) uses 103mm bottom bracket. less you want wider q-factor, you can use that.
the older 8spds would be fine though.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
brewster said:
I have a Dura Ace 7402 double crank and have aquired a Campy Centaur 111mm square taper BB meant for a triple crank. The spindle length should work for the crank, but I have a reservation about the taper angles being compatible. I seem to remember something about Shimano and Campy not mixing in this area.

any help is appreciated.
brewster
Bad idea.

Irrespective of which Dura Ace crank this is, mixing Campag bottom brackets and Shimano is not good.

If your cranks are 7402 they should be straight armed, and need a 115mm axle. If you use a 111mm Campag the chainline will likely be too far in, as although it's asymetric the taper will let the crank pull further on to the axle.

If the Crank is the last 8 speed one it will be the other way round.

On both the crank bolt may not be able to seat the crank properly and it will damage the taper on the arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts