Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a friend's Zipp 303s (ooooo) and put them on my S-Works E5. I have a Ultegra 10 speed system...but he had a 9 speed cassette. I rode it for a little and it worked ok...but obviously not the greatest. After, I put on the 10 speed cassette and rode again and noticed that it was not running the same as before. Do you think I may of damaged the chain?

Does anyone have any solid info on what happens when a 9 speed cassette meets a 10 speed chain? Are the teeth gaps different and thus, stretched my chain?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only difference between a 10sp cassette and a 9sp cassette is the separation of the cogs (narrower on the 10 obviously). The teeth separation is constant. Similarly for the chain, the 10sp chain is just a fraction of a mm narrower.

How long did you ride the wheel for? How worn was his cassette? If he had a newish cassette, and / or you only did it for a few rides or so, then I doubt you could have done any damage to your chain. Have you tried readjusting the derailleur?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
same pitch...

The cogs have the same 1/2 inch pitch. 9 speed cogs a just a bit wider, but there's plenty of room for them inside the 10 speed chain links.

Your description of "not running the same" is sort of vague. If you made changes the the derailleur cable tension, maybe you didn't adjust it back correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I readjusted the RD. I have no idea how old his cassette is but it looked OK. No worn teeth or anything. I will probably just tinker with it a bit and see if I can dial it in. I was just curious. I knew they were narrower, but didn't know if the links were spanned differently.

I rode it for about an hour. No serious hammering or anything. After the first time I shifted into the higher gears, I knew immediately that this was a 9 speed cassette. My cassette is new too...probably around 500 miles on it.

Thanks for your input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.