Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back tyre seems to be worn bad around the rims,obviously will have to be replaced,was just wondering if anyone has any idea how I managed to do this kind of damage to the tyre, only have bike since last May, here below are photos of the damage

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I bet your brake pads are rubbing the tire’s sidewall.
Almost guaranteed this is the problem. All it takes is just a bit of the brake pad riding too "high" on the rim and it will chew up a tire quickly. It's something of a miracle that this hasn't resulted in a sidewall blowout.

·
What the what???
12,631 Posts
Yeah. Looking at how uniform the damage is, the brake pad is likely the culprit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, will have to get new tyre tomorrow, so ill get the guy to check my brake pads as well,I only cycle to work and back, cant believe the kind of damage that can happen like that

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
Thanks guys, will have to get new tyre tomorrow, so ill get the guy to check my brake pads as well,I only cycle to work and back, cant believe the kind of damage that can happen like that
It can. And it doesn't take very long for mis-adjusted brake pads to destroy a tire.

Reactions: Mcdowell42

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
Looking at the pic closely, that doesn't look like a machined rim. Are you sure those wheels are meant for rim brakes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at it in daylight the break pads were gone altogether.
Looking at the pic closely, that doesn't look like a machined rim. Are you sure those wheels are meant for rim brakes?

Got a new tyre fitted ,and here's the embarrassing bit,my bike has disc brakes not rim brakes,so when i looked at bike after getting some feed back on here, when I couldn't see rim brake on the rear ,I just presumed they had fallen off, it was only when I followed the brake cable to the wheel I copped the disc brakes 😳

That's how bike savvy I am 😁 guy who fitted the new tyre reckoned I was cycling on the tyre for a while that wasn't properly inflated so obviously with my weight on it ,thts what destroyed the tyre.

Thanks for the advice guys ,sorry if I wasted anybodys time ,seriously embarrassed here though 😳

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts

Got a new tyre fitted ,and here's the embarrassing bit,my bike has disc brakes not rim brakes,so when i looked at bike after getting some feed back on here, when I couldn't see rim brake on the rear ,I just presumed they had fallen off, it was only when I followed the brake cable to the wheel I copped the disc brakes 😳

That's how bike savvy I am 😁 guy who fitted the new tyre reckoned I was cycling on the tyre for a while that wasn't properly inflated so obviously with my weight on it ,thts what destroyed the tyre.

Thanks for the advice guys ,sorry if I wasted anybodys time ,seriously embarrassed here though 😳
You mean you were riding on a flat tire and didn't even realize it? You are either a very strong rider or......umm....I don't want to say. ;)

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
Looking at the photo again, I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice that there were no brake marks on the rim. And since the bike has disc brakes, I'm having a hard time imagining what caused that tire failure. Could that rim have a sharp edge all the way around the was cutting the sidewall? Were you riding the tire at VERY low pressure? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at the photo again, I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice that there were no brake marks on the rim. And since the bike has disc brakes, I'm having a hard time imagining what caused that tire failure. Could that rim have a sharp edge all the way around the was cutting the sidewall? Were you riding the tire at VERY low pressure? I'm stumped.

Not 100% sure,but looks like I WAS riding the bike on a low pressure tyre for quite a while.Guy who replaced the tyre for me obviously now has it at the proper pressure,and let's say the pressure its at now is along way from what I had it at.It wasn't actually fully flat but neither was it fully pumped up,if tht makes sense

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
Not 100% sure,but looks like I WAS riding the bike on a low pressure tyre for quite a while.Guy who replaced the tyre for me obviously now has it at the proper pressure,and let's say the pressure its at now is along way from what I had it at.It wasn't actually fully flat but neither was it fully pumped up,if tht makes sense
How often is\was it your habit to check your tire pressure, if at all? I would hazard to guess, considering you didn't know the bike had disk brakes, that you've been riding the bike on the air that was in the tires since getting it in May.

Do you own a pump, if not it would be a good time to get one.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Honestly, If I were U, I would take it into a bike shop once a month and let them service/inspect it. I don't think you have the ability to realize any problem u are having. In the long run it's going to save you a trip to the emergency room.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
Road tires need to be pumped at least once a week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How often is\was it your habit to check your tire pressure, if at all? I would hazard to guess, considering you didn't know the bike had disk brakes, that you've been riding the bike on the air that was in the tires since getting it in May.

Do you own a pump, if not it would be a good time to get one.
You're not too far wrong, I had pumped it a few times but obviously not enough

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,087 Posts
So......after seeing the photos and reading all the posts, I'd really like to see these tires mounted on the bike. Things that I would be looking for are:

Was there a bottle generator on the bike?
Was there some sort of buckle or hook for a pannier rubbing on the tire?
Was there a poorly-positioned fender stay?
One of those chainstay security clamps?
A kickstand?
Or, did you just ride for many, many miles on a completely flat tire?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts